GT85N1 Guest

HELP - Whirlpool 20RI D3 Not Working.....

Hi,

First post here, hoping someone can help out.

I was recently given a Whirlpool American Fridge Freezer (20RI D3 model).

It was working at my friend's house and since moving it to my place it doesnt work..

When I plug it in you can hear it doing something, so I know it has power.

However:

- Light doesnt come on when opening doors
    - LCD doesnt show anything, no buttons work, no beeps
    - Freezer cools, fridge doesnt cool at all
    - Black cylinder (back at the bottom: condenser?? gets really hot)
    - Middle section that separates fridge/freezer gets VERY hot

Now seing as I have just moved in to my own place, I'm hoping there are things I can do/check myself.. I could do without any more outgoings

Any advice is more than appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

Re: HELP - Whirlpool 20RI D3 Not Working.....

mite need engineer for this one as not just one fault where bouts are you in uk?

Hi Gary,

If it was working beforehand then it's either:

Suffered a mechanical defect in transit (compressor shaken about too much and damaged - this I think is the black cylinder at the bottom you refer to). Seeing as it apears to run with no abnormal noise then I think you can count this out.

Not stood upright after being laid on its side so oil has blocked up parts of the refrigerant line. Again unlikely as the freezer gets cold but does it reach its setpoint ? Also I'm not sure how the fridge and freezer cooling systems are linked. If there is only one cooling component for the freezer and an air duct to divert some cold air to the fridge then fine. If there is a seperate cooling coil for the fridge (not the case I suspect but I don't do much domestic stuff) then this could be a problem.

Electrical component/plug loose. This would account for no display and lights.

Not sure what the 'middle section' is. I suspect it's the condensor which would get hot when first switched on. Probably around the 40*C mark.

Right, now you've ploughed through my ramblings the answer to your post....

Leave it turned off overnight to let any oil settle back to where it should be. I don't think this will achieve much but worth a try. Check to see if any PCB's, plugs, cables are all intact and plugged in, no burning smells from them. Take out the bulb and check with a meter for continuity or substitute with a new one.

Failing that, more advice from a domestic guru or a visit from a competent technician.
    Meanwhile, enjoy your own pad, might need a back up fridge for the beers but at least you can leave the bog seat up without getting yer ear chewed off. ;-)

Good luck,

Cheers,
    Andy.
    Health and safety first..........unless I'm in a hurry.

GT85N1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tayters View Post
    Hi Gary,

If it was working beforehand then it's either:

Suffered a mechanical defect in transit (compressor shaken about too much and damaged - this I think is the black cylinder at the bottom you refer to). Seeing as it apears to run with no abnormal noise then I think you can count this out.
    We didnt really bash it about too much.. And when plugged it seems to make the normal fridge 'hum'....

Not stood upright after being laid on its side so oil has blocked up parts of the refrigerant line. Again unlikely as the freezer gets cold but does it reach its setpoint ? Also I'm not sure how the fridge and freezer cooling systems are linked. If there is only one cooling component for the freezer and an air duct to divert some cold air to the fridge then fine. If there is a seperate cooling coil for the fridge (not the case I suspect but I don't do much domestic stuff) then this could be a problem.
    It was laid down in transit, its massive so we had no choice really.. I had let it stand in its normal upright position for a while before even plugging it in. (Its been sat in the same place for about a month now )

Electrical component/plug loose. This would account for no display and lights.
    I'll take the back off and check the part where the plug connects to the main circuit board, could have come loose maybe

Not sure what the 'middle section' is. I suspect it's the condensor which would get hot when first switched on. Probably around the 40*C mark.
    I realise I didnt word this all too well.

Being a side-by-side 'American' fridge-freezer, the part i reffered to as 'the middle' was the column that separates the fridge from the freezer, so where the doors both close to.

i.e. if you were stood exactly central to the unit, opened both doors, you would have half of your body to the fridge side, and half to the freezer side - your nose would be almost touching this 'middle' part.

It gets very hot to touch which is quite a concern.. especially after the news last week - RIP that family

Failing that, more advice from a domestic guru or a visit from a competent technician.
    Meanwhile, enjoy your own pad, might need a back up fridge for the beers but at least you can leave the bog seat up without getting yer ear chewed off. ;-)
    Hoping more toward the first, the competent technician part is more expense that I could do without if I can, I mean filling my broken fridge with beer costs money you know

Cheers