R410A and R22 Compressor

Hello.

Does anyone know if there is a way to use R410A or any other available (widely available enough) non-ozone depleting refrigerant in a typical R22 9,000 BTU compressor?

I'm not sure about propane because there seems to be a safety issue, and refrigeration store don't sell it here.

I am new here and just learning about air conditioning and refrigeration, and am unfortunately experiencing difficulty finding the information that I need.

Thank you for your time.

Re: R410A and R22 Compressor

Maybe try contact the compressor manufacturer and see what they recommend?
    I've heard a few drop in refrigerants, but all seem to contain HCs from memory. And of course no point in using anything that the compressor manufacturer recommends against. But R410a definitely is a no.

Hi Kompulsa

as 'Paul' said

go for drop in replacement as other refigerants can be ok with compressor but not system design

and again agree deffo not R410a

I have got away with using R404a txv power assembly's on some R22 chiller units

But R404a will not work with the mineral oil in a R22 system

R's chillerman
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Compulsa, as Paul and Chillerman said ask manufacturer. But i am sure manufacturer sais NO for R410A. Look at the difference in pressures of R22 and R410A. Even if you replace oil you can destroy your R22 compressor by high pressure. If you dont like R22 replace oil for POE and use R407C. I did it...

wreich66 Guest

Kompulsa, the other guys are spot on. 407C is a great alternative to R22 with similar pressures. Temperature and pressure will be way to high if you run 410A. Compressor will go out on thermal overload or break. Make sure you stay away from propane or any other hydrocarbons with a hermetic compressor!

not that i would ever need to use it, but for curiousity sake; why not use a hydrocarbon with a hermetic compressor, because of the possibility of a short internally?

thanks. Ernie.

To answer the original question.....
    Of the common a/c refrigerants, R407c or R410a are not compatible with the mineral oil that will be in a (designed for) R22 compressor. However, R422d, R424a R427a (there are others) are 'drop-in' refrigerants and compatible with mineral and poe oils.
    We use R424a as a substitute for R22 with absolutely no problems, indeed have topped-up a 22 system with 424 (after having identified and repaired the leak - of course!). 18 months on and no problems.
    Of course the R42* series are expensive. Here in Tenerife approximately twice the price of R410a!
    Will post our experiences of the Spanish regs imposed 4 July 2011 another time.
    Regards to all, Graham
    en boca cerrada no entran moscas