Noisy Kelvinator a/c

G'Day Gang,

I have a customer with a Kelvinator Split system that the inside fan is very noisy. It is not a mechanical noise but more a air flow noise. It is a 8kw inverter.
    How anyone had similar issues with these machines?

Re: Noisy Kelvinator a/c

Come across a few different brands that are chinese design that have a flat fascia, ie no front inlet grille anymore like they used to, all air inlet at the top, that are noisy.

Concluded that the chinese designs need a lot of clearance for those types of flat fascia models. Any less than 200mm from the ceiling just make the fans noisy (based on a different brand, but still chinese design no front inlet grille model I have worked with.) Wouldn't surprise me if Kelvinator is the same in that regard.

Thanks paul_h,
    There is plenty of clearance around the unit but it just seems like a lot of air noise. I had a thought while doing this reply. Could the fan be turning the wrong direction? The air volume does not seem to directly relate to the noise produced. IE: There seems to be more air flow noise than the air flow being delivered out of the vents.

Cheers
    Dennis

Does the noise decrease when the filters are removed and the fascia left open?

If so, airflow problem; if not, then maybe fan problem.
    Last edited by paul_h; 29-09-2011 at 08:03 AM.

If it is an older unit than maybe the barrel fan is clogged or the evaporator is not not allowing free movement of air through it, clogged as well.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Thanks for the replies,
    The unit is only 6 months old and has had little use due to the noise. I did remove 1 filter which did not make any difference. I will go back and do some more checking tomorrow.

Cheers
    Dennis