resistance to earth

is it possible to check a 3 phase contactor on resistance to earth with no power to it but all 3 phases connected?

Re: resistance to earth

contactors only fault on coil burn out,contacts welded,or 2 phasing,or melt from loose connection causing excessive heat.
    u can test the component ie compressor or fan from the outgoing side of the contactor,but this doesnt eliminate the cable from being at fault,best to disconnect the comp,motor and test at the terminals,also you can inspect the terminals

basically came to a job had a p8 fault on a daikin which is an outdoor fault ,condenser was not running i checked 3 phases coming into isolator and found that i had lost one phase, i confirmed this by checking contact coming on off main supply and 1 32 amp fuse had blown.to identify what caused this i checked compressor windings all ok resistance to earth on fan motors all ok,i did notice fuse which protects 240 v circuit was not sitting flush in it holding which would indicate if it was something on the 240 circuit it would have bypassed the fuse and blown secondary on main supply.In summary i was unable to check condenser contact but foolishly checked resistance to earth with 3 phases connected with no power

p8 is a mitsi fault, if the compressor siezes it will trip on the thermal overload,if its dte then it will blow 2 phases.
    the control fuse is normally fed of red phase.check for loose connections on the isolator. isnt the cond fans powered off the control fuse. check the supply cable from isolator to cond terminals,see if its rubbed and shorted against pipework or casing!!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc425 View Post
    basically came to a job had a p8 fault on a daikin which is an outdoor fault ,condenser was not running i checked 3 phases coming into isolator and found that i had lost one phase, i confirmed this by checking contact coming on off main supply and 1 32 amp fuse had blown.to identify what caused this i checked compressor windings all ok resistance to earth on fan motors all ok,i did notice fuse which protects 240 v circuit was not sitting flush in it holding which would indicate if it was something on the 240 circuit it would have bypassed the fuse and blown secondary on main supply.In summary i was unable to check condenser contact but foolishly checked resistance to earth with 3 phases connected with no power

something much bigger will be feeling resistance to earth shortly

that satelite !! thats about to crash in to our atnosphere

R's chillerman
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Quote Originally Posted by andyc425 View Post
    is it possible to check a 3 phase contactor on resistance to earth with no power to it but all 3 phases connected?
    Hi Andy,

Do you mean meggering the compressor from the outgoing terminals on the contactor? If so then it would work as long as nothing else comes off the outgoing terminals (i.e. thay go straight to the compressor) to power something that might not like a good meggering.

Otherwise if you megger the incoming part of the contactor with the outdoor isolator off the you'll be checking any part of that cabling (Between isolator and incoming feed to contactor) to earth which no doubt will go through some control circuits which wont take it well.

Hope that helps,
    Andy.
    Health and safety first..........unless I'm in a hurry.

thats a megger weigh in! haha= didnt russ abbot sing about atmosphere-cm u need a spell checker!!haha

Quote Originally Posted by chillerman2006 View Post
    something much bigger will be feeling resistance to earth shortly

that satelite !! thats about to crash in to our atnosphere

R's chillerman

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    thats a megger weigh in! haha= didnt russ abbot sing about atmosphere-cm u need a spell checker!!haha
    Its cause I like Nos....like laughing gas hahaha
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !