Load factor Help

I am working on sizing a blast cooler. I will take 3000 lbs of brisket @ 140 degrees down to 70 in 2 hours, then from 70 to below 40 in the next 4 hr.s . This program states I need to change my load factor number to ASHRAES standards. I don't have the book nor do they make it very clear which one it is I need. It is related to blast chilling/freezing product. Any help would be appreciated. I'd buy the book but I'm only working on a bid, not sure I'll even get the job. Thanks in advance.

Re: Load factor Help

Hi Freezon.
    you will need high sensible heat ratio evaporators, low latent. Stops drying meat out. But get the deep meat temps low quickly. Is product hanging on hooks, blister packed, or on trays, or in boxes.
    The hardest senario would be blister packs inside corragated boxes
    Last edited by Magoo; 05-09-2011 at 03:25 AM.

The product is BBQ brisket & ribs. It will be on trays. It wont be concealed. It comes out of the smokers at 200 plus, is allowed to cool to 140 at ambients, then oof to the cooler to avoid thebacteria phase. I have been doing ths load calc program offered up from Trenton refrigeration products. They want to know the load factor, the default is 1. It tells you specifically if doing blast chiller or freezer, go to ASHRAE handbook of fundamentals and find it there. I toyed with the numbers and it made one heck of a difference. Also, It has options of changing humidity levels and TD's. Magoo, AM I looking to keep my humidty up arround 80% and TD at 7 to 9 degrees ? What I usually do is medium temp app and use electric defrost( basically freezer set up) to knock frozen moisture off coil and get back into the game. In the past I used my supply house engineer to help with these but lately I I cant afford to use him because I am at his mercy, dont know when I'll get it or if its accurate?

Hi Freezon,
    I would be looking at ambient coolers for the first stage, then chiller for second stage, over size evaps for second stage for high humidity high SHR coils, cyclic air defrosts during pulldown in chiller section if necessary, with a system TD of 8 'F you should be fine.
    Alternative, is blister pack each peice and put into chilled water bath, zero weight loss clients like that.

Hi Freezon,
    by blister packs ,I mean nitrogen purged then vacuum sealed client product plastic wrappers. Zero bacteria, retains juices and flavours, self marinating, super tender. Shock chilled in zero degrees C water. Package then storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezon View Post
    The product is BBQ brisket & ribs. It will be on trays. It wont be concealed. It comes out of the smokers at 200 plus, is allowed to cool to 140 at ambients, then oof to the cooler to avoid thebacteria phase. I have been doing ths load calc program offered up from Trenton refrigeration products. They want to know the load factor, the default is 1. It tells you specifically if doing blast chiller or freezer, go to ASHRAE handbook of fundamentals and find it there. I toyed with the numbers and it made one heck of a difference. Also, It has options of changing humidity levels and TD's. Magoo, AM I looking to keep my humidty up arround 80% and TD at 7 to 9 degrees ? What I usually do is medium temp app and use electric defrost( basically freezer set up) to knock frozen moisture off coil and get back into the game. In the past I used my supply house engineer to help with these but lately I I cant afford to use him because I am at his mercy, dont know when I'll get it or if its accurate?

If the selection calculator is asking for blast chill or freezer loads, that is
    because the specific heat content of products change when they are frozen.

If you are planning on pulling the temp down in 2 stages but if the end temp is
    still above freezing then you need the fresh meat specific loads for that product.

FoodSpecific Heat above FreezingSpecific Heat below Freezing
    (Btu/lboF)(KJ/kgoC)(Kcal/kgoC)(Btu/lboF)(KJ/kgoC)(Kcal/kgoC)
    Beef, carcass0.682.850.680.482.010.48
    Beef, flank0.562.340.560.321.340.32
    Beef, loin0.662.760.660.351.470.35
    Beef, rib0.672.810.670.361.510.36
    Beef, round0.743.10.740.381.590.38
    Beef, rump0.622.60.620.341.420.34
    Beef, shanks0.763.180.760.391.630.39
    Beef, corned0.632.640.630.341.420.34

taz