Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Naming and Shaming

Quote Originally Posted by paul_h View Post
    Seeds are fine, any type. Trick is to send them inside a birthday card or any cardboard!
    I got ridiculously potent chilli seeds to grow from the USA that way, and many *other people* get all sorts of seeds that way too.
    KTT best of luck, if I'm still around I'd be glad to meet you, I'm hoping to move to the mt barker region down south soon. Real estate in Perth too expensive, I'm hoping to bail out with 160K in my pocket pay cash for a house in cranbrook or something like that, build a massive barn size shed on a 1/4+ acre block. Build project cars for fun, grow chillies and sell seeds/sauce as a side business, brew and distill my own, and do the odd refrig-a/c job in Albany or local wineries a few days a week as a part time thing to fund my semi retired, rent and mortgage free existence.
    This has been a long term plan of mine, the reason why I've learnt the ropes being self employed and putting up with bad payers after all. I could have earnt almost double being on wages, but then I'd be a city boy forever. The rat race is not for me, only project cars and making/ growing stuff makes me content.
    Paul, more power to ya. It has always been my desire to do the same (minus the chillis)

Kev

One i found posted today, will let you know if it worked!!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6202/...45831958_b.jpg

alec
    Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.

nice one al, i might even try it myself.
    kev

Or go one step further Kev

Leave it outside his house (on public road) just within his reach

But prior to that park a vehicle up the road a bit car charger/laptop/mini webcam

Let him rip it down in temper & have him on video bang to rights - criminal damage !
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Quote Originally Posted by al View Post
    Kev

One i found posted today, will let you know if it worked!!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6202/...45831958_b.jpg

alec
    Oh, that's rich, love it.

it's worked for a few business's here Mike, one tip, always pay your sign writing company!

alec

Wouldn't work here unless you got a permit from the city to put the crane up and of course they will ask you why. Don't know if they would issue the permit. How long do they stay up for?

Same here with the police, in fairness they take a very benign view, so long as it doesn't interfere with anyone it stays for a while, normally a few days.

There was a local pub that retained a sign company across the road, never paid them and for the last 6 months they have a huge sign in their window telling everyone!!

I have often "misaddressed" overdue invoices to the business next door....

alec

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHolm View Post
    Paul, more power to ya. It has always been my desire to do the same (minus the chillis)
    Thanks.
    I've got a mazda 1974 rx3 and 1975 rx4 rusting away under covers that has alway been me dream to finish (never have a garage or even a car port to with under. Wanting a 1986 MR2, a chrysler drifter panel van (with a 426ci of course) and a ford zc/zd fairlane (closest we have to a american car - though they built cars that size as a two door in the USA!)
    Wouldn't mind a mazda rx2 coupe either, or a datsun 240z. Small block v8s, big block v8s, rotaries, in line 6cyl, or rear mount 4cyl, all cool to me.
    and chillies are awesome too, like I said more and more people are interested in them as a possible side business selling seeds, pods and sauces. as it's a growing industry, and growing the plants, or mailing seeds/sauces is a possible income earner living in the remote country areas.
    Last edited by paul_h; 11-09-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Wow, Mazda didn't import any of the rotaries here until the RX7 and as long as you can keep the seals proper, it was a good engine. Friend of mine had a MR2, beautiful handling and one of the the few good responses t the FIAT X19. GM tried with the Fiero which was a Chevy Chevette with a stupid body on it and the mid engine, guttless, horrible car...

Datsun 240 was nice, a cheap copy of the Ferrari 250GT....260 and 280 lost the appeal for me. I'm a 70's and 80's 911 turbo fan and a Lotus fan. Porsche lost all affordability after the late 80s and became too technical anyway.

Oz seems to like big V8s like the Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    hire a 5 tonne bulldozer and plough his car,buisness,and even his misses!
    ????ing myself with laughter........ plough his misses, quality.

Just to update you, the to55er has defended his undefendable case, i am waiting for the paperwork so i will let you know what he says. i think he is buying time to close down as i believe he is owed money. he is trying to get orders made out to his new company. i cannot believe the system doesnt stop blatant fraud like this. will keep you informed.
    Kev

Haven't been here in a while. Fascinated with this thread though.

I'm UK based.

The popular opinion that goods and equipment belong to the owner of the building, once fitted, is legally true. Ask any solicitor and he or she will confirm that.

What they wont tell you, though, is that the ars+ho+e trying to defraud you of your labour and materials will have to take expensive commercial proceedings against you in the event that you have steamed in and removed them due to non-payment.

Guys, the world has changed. I feel sorry for clients affected by the economic times we find ourselves in, I genuinely do. I always try to work with up-against-it clients in an effort to get paid and give them a bit of time if I can.

When it comes to non-paying ars+ho+es though, I'm a fan of fighting fire with fire.

If that means stripping out your kit, so be it. Sure, it means the debt you're owed is history, but you'll at least have the kit to re-sell to someone in the future, as well as the knowledge that the ars+ho+e hasn't done you over, which is equally important.

I'm always amazed that fellow engineers bow down to 'the law' and just accept that they can be legally shafted by ars+holes, with no apparent recourse.

'The law' is unfair for a reason; Wise up. Fight your corner. If a client is prepared to fu++ you over on payment when you've done a decent job and fulfilled your side of the contract, you are entitled to expect them - by Law - to reciprocate by providing a contractual remedy.

Hi,
    just a quick update, andychill - i was labour only so no kit installed was mine, i now have to defend myself against this to$$er cos he is suing me for loss of earnings and saying my workmanship was not up to scratch. there are people on this forum i have worked for who can vouch for my workmanship. I have spoken to the main contracter and they have said ther is no problem with what ive done and they will give me a letter to say this. he owes 3 national suppliers and 2 other companys. I have tried to call this pr!ck but unfortunatley he cant take my calls as he is in the bahamas on a month long holiday. I have decided to jack anyway as i cant be ar$ed with it all.
    Kev

Well if he's away for a month, move into his house and change the locks like sqauters do, he'll have a job getting you out again.....
    You could then get some loans in his name and address......
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

fsgvbhnzx dbnzgm,
    Last edited by chillerman2006; 29-09-2011 at 10:56 PM.
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

But CM, you'd do just about anything..... so...what are you advising him to do?

Thanks for the update, Kev.

The problem you seem to have is with a chancer who is firstly intent on not paying you, and is also going to push you legally, presumably in an effort to make you go away.

I'm not a lawyer, so don't act on anything I say, but your dispute with this guy is covered by contract law.

A commercial contract HAS to satisfied on both sides. Your ex-client is in breach of contract by not paying you.

When (if) he takes you to commercial court, he will have to have a very good case against you to justify HIS breach of the contract - by not paying you - that exists between you.

My guess is that he will play the old game of 'who's going to blink first' right up until the court hearing, then you'll get a phone call from his brief on the day of the hearing offering to settle before proceedings.

Advice that I will give you mate is; DONT BLINK FIRST. It's just a game. see it through and you should get paid in the end.

HI,
    I am convinced he is owed money the end of this month and he is going to go into voluntary liqiudation. just to give you some background. He was a sole trader for 12 years then he landed a £100,000 job in Nov 2010 the same month he became a limited company. ( coincidental, Me thinks not ). his last payment for the big job was July 2011 about the same time as he stopped paying people. He then incorparated a new company in August 2011. now im no sherlock holmes but i think i am a hiding to nothing trying to chase my £5000. What do you guys reckon ?
    Kev

Install Monkey, i might just do that. Imagine the fun i could have when the loo roll runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev The Tool View Post
    HI,
    I am convinced he is owed money the end of this month and he is going to go into voluntary liqiudation. just to give you some background. He was a sole trader for 12 years then he landed a £100,000 job in Nov 2010 the same month he became a limited company. ( coincidental, Me thinks not ). his last payment for the big job was July 2011 about the same time as he stopped paying people. He then incorparated a new company in August 2011. now im no sherlock holmes but i think i am a hiding to nothing trying to chase my £5000. What do you guys reckon ?
    Kev

Install Monkey, i might just do that. Imagine the fun i could have when the loo roll runs out.
    I think after he won the 100k job he went Ltd to protect himself if it went tit's up. If so that seems reasonable. What happened after doesn't seem to tie in though...It is possible he did the numbers towards the end and realised he was going to lose money on the job so took advice to asset strip that company and leave those owed money hanging?

A lot of my peers here are complaining that the domestic market is going bad with a lot of people not paying or paying reduced amounts to the agreed price. It's probably a reflection on the tight economy.

We made the decision long ago, that any domestic jobs and light commercial jobs we do, are full payment in advance - cleared in the bank. We go out. Work out what needs to be done, provide a quote and start when it is paid.

Some might say that this limits your scope of business. maybe so. But we don't have any bad debts and our clientele still continues to grow and they are all high grade clients. All have got cash, and the stress of payment chasing and cashflow disappears.

It makes it a bit harder to deal with breakdowns, but there are ways and means of dealing with these too. Just takes a bit of imagination.

Congrats on the new baby Paul.

Hi Guys,
    just to update you, it turns out he has run the first company down to no assets and no money in the bank and not doing any work, all his work now goes through his second company but because he has no money in his first company account and is never likely to have its a no win situation as far as getting my money goes. meanwhile i am still waiting for the british justice system to award me judgement so i can do fu*k all. happy days!
    Kev

Keep it cool, Kev. You're doing well. People who do stuff like this eventually self destruct. And sometimes it takes a while. This market we participate in is not such a large community and what goes around eventually comes around.

Not that this helps you much at all. You can use the opportunity, though to look at your systems for working and getting paid and see if you can tune it up so these risks are minimised or removed altogether. Sometimes these events force us out of a comfort zone and we start trying new things. Often we stumble onto something completely left field and things end up better than ever.

I hope this is the case for you. There's nothing like doing spectacularly well in business to answer negative people and serving it up to the parasites that tend to accumulate around when you are starting to make a little bit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12