• Value for money

1 50.00%
  • Reliability

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Threaded View

nevgee is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

TESTO digital manifold

Well we're back to square one with the TESTO 556-1. It's failed again!
    The first instrument didn't last a year when it deicided to fail. Some of the valve stems seized and some selection buttons stopped responding then finally the software flipped a jip and the whole instrument died. . . I was thinking I had bought a "PUP" at this stage but still had faith in the big brand name TESTO. They would resolve the problem and we would be back on track in no time at all. Sadly the UK service dept at that time didn't have the technical ability to repair my instrument so it was sent to germany for a proper sort out.
    Time passed by, it was only a mere 6 weeks, I was in the phase of considering my instrument to be lost at sea when I received a parcel with a brand new replacement. What joy!

So here we are again, 11 months down the line and guess what, it has failed again.
    A valve has stopped working and wont open or close properly. So I pack it up and off to TESTO UK once again .... no suprise this time when I receive a phone call to tell me they can't repair it in the UK but no problem, they'll send it to the factory in Germany. Here goes another long spell of longing and waiting ..... but not so, they have found it can be repaired and it will only cost £95.60 +VAT.
    I don't understand why the previous repair, now faulted again and regardless of the fact they replaced the whole instrument is not a warranty repair?

Putting all this to one side I am begining to wonder about TESTO and their product quality. Their instruments aren't the most economical on the market and while they appear to have some credibility in the heating sector, gas analysers etc I am now doubting their quality in the RAC sector.
    Is TESTO just a super brand name with a racehorse pedigree which perhaps is far too refined for our industry. Too refined in so much as their products aren't suited because they aren't tough enough to do the job on site. Instruments need to have some ruggedness about them and while TESTO 556-1 does look rugged it certainly isn't fit for the job. Well not in my case anyway.

Rant over.
    Last edited by nevgee; 26-08-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling
    Reality is an elusion created by alcohol deficiency. Quaff and enjoy. [Yorkshire, UK]