deli counter install

I have a customer who would like me to install a used deli counter with 1 remote condensing unit. The deli unit is fitted with 3 evaporators each with their own tev fitted.
    my question is -what is the best way to fit the condensing unit ?
    can i run the liquid line and suction line to each of the evaporators and "t" off a connection to each one , and fit 1 solenoid valve at the beginning of the liquid line to control the condensing unit?
    or
    would it be better to fit a solenoid valve to each evaporator

thanks

Re: deli counter install

Quote Originally Posted by sean1 View Post
    I have a customer who would like me to install a used deli counter with 1 remote condensing unit. The deli unit is fitted with 3 evaporators each with their own tev fitted.
    my question is -what is the best way to fit the condensing unit ?
    can i run the liquid line and suction line to each of the evaporators and "t" off a connection to each one , and fit 1 solenoid valve at the beginning of the liquid line to control the condensing unit?
    or
    would it be better to fit a solenoid valve to each evaporator

thanks

If the circuits are individual and controled individualy then each will
    need a liquid suply and a solenoid (mag valve).

If they are three cuircuits that are part of one whole system then
    they can work off a liquid supply that has just 1 mag valve.

It depends on how they are controled.

The liquid needs to be big enough to satisfy the duty of all three TEV's
    but how the liquid is controlled to them will depend on the instal.

taz

The ones that I work on generally have two evap coils, that in turn have the liquid and suction lines t'd off and connected in parrallel, via two XVs and temperature controlled with a low side pressure switch. One of the units has one long dispaly with no right angles, and has two evap coils in series which each other. In turn fed with one XV, and temperature controlled with a low side pressure switch.

Then some have three coils, with two connected in series and in parrallel with one coil. Fed with two Xvs and a low side pressure switch.
    Training may be finished but experience is never complete.

great thanks ,
    the evaps are independant of each other and have their own controls, to me it looks like they are 3 separate units that can stand alone or units that can be "connected" together , it looks like they were originally installed to work as 1 ( piping has only 1 solenoid valve fitted to liquid line ) the unit is nearly 4 metres in length on a straight run but am thinking it may be better to install it as each evaporator independently with its own solenoid and controll
    what do you think? also what about pressure regulators - should they be used ?

If each circuit has a controler then that controler must control the liquid to that circuit.

If you just control the main liquid the individual evaps may freeze or starve dependant
    on use.

taz

How is the temperature being controlled? By the low pressure control on the condenser? Or do you have a thermostat that controls the liquid line solenoid valve?
    If using the low pressure control, then you don't have to install a solenoid valve in the liquid line. I like to install a suction line accumulator to help prevent slugging the compressor.
    If you are going to install a thermostat or 3 thermostats(which for a long deli case is better for temp control), install one or 3 solenoids in parallel to each evaporator. Of course the suction lines are all connected together in parallel with tees.

I recommend using the low pressure control for temp control with no solenoid valve.

To add:

The accumulator would help protect the compressor upon start up and liquid migration during off cycle.

If you using thermostats, ideal would be three, placing the sensing bulbs in the return air stream of each evaporator controlling 3 solenoid valves.