Top or Bottom Fed?

Ammonia evaporators, Top or Bottom fed which is the best and why. I have always thought top feed. However after reading an article on Brining I am re-thinking

Re: Top or Bottom Fed?

Quote Originally Posted by piewie View Post
    Ammonia evaporators, Top or Bottom fed which is the best and why. I have always thought top feed. However after reading an article on Brining I am re-thinking
    Hi piewie

As I understand it, it's in at the bottom out at the top for flooded evaps

Here's an earlier post with a link to a video I made as an mini intro http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...ntro&highlight=

try not to laugh

R's chillerman
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Chillerman2006
    I think that buttom or top is The SAMEBA
    THE problem is how you dising all The System
    IF you have an overfeed System you should pay attention to instalo The return pipe lower that The inlet and outlet of evaporados . This insure that niether ammonia ņor oil settle down in evaporator

Hi
    normally refrigerant to air counter air flow is the norm, but you can get bottom to top refrigerant and side to side air flow, with agitated liquid refrigerant flow parallel to air flow is more efficient than counter flow.
    The options are endless, normally the coil manufacturer has spe'd the most efficient, [ sometimes they get it wrong ].
    The circuiting is critical as well, just to compound things further, single pass, double pass, triple pass. circuit PD is the main consideration, pump feed, gravity feed, HP sub-cooled all the above.
    No set rules at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gwapa View Post
    Chillerman2006
    I think that buttom or top is The SAMEBA
    THE problem is how you dising all The System
    IF you have an overfeed System you should pay attention to instalo The return pipe lower that The inlet and outlet of evaporados . This insure that niether ammonia ņor oil settle down in evaporator
    Hi gwapa

Sorry mate, I could not make head or tail of that

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
    Hi
    normally refrigerant to air counter air flow is the norm, but you can get bottom to top refrigerant and side to side air flow, with agitated liquid refrigerant flow parallel to air flow is more efficient than counter flow.
    The options are endless, normally the coil manufacturer has spe'd the most efficient, [ sometimes they get it wrong ].
    The circuiting is critical as well, just to compound things further, single pass, double pass, triple pass. circuit PD is the main consideration, pump feed, gravity feed, HP sub-cooled all the above.
    No set rules at all.
    Hi Magoo,

piewie, this will be correct, I have learned very quickly, Mr Magoo is quite an authority on understanding all refrigeration designs especially, more complex systems, some of which we will never see,

R's chillerman
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !