Wendigo Guest

How to get to industry

Hello,

I am sure this is bit different post then the usual I guess some people might find it odd and naive, however my life experience proved that things that seems to be unachieved, just required enough determination some luck and sometimes a bit help of others -That's what I am hoping for today.

I am 28yrs old and for last 4 years worked as an HGV driver. I am bored to dead in this work. I can't see diversity of challenges or perspectives to develop there. So I have decided to go somewhere else.

I have electronic+IT degree however I am not interested in working in neither of them.

What I feel I would like to do is job related to electrical engineering/ air conditions/ solar installations. It's related to the fact of my "technical nature" and desire to emigrating to NZ/AU where as far as I am concern is bigger market for it.

So my question is where do you think I should start? Should I concentrate on achieving experience in one field or as many as possible? Which of above is most popular/ rewarding? Which way should I go, how to start? Try to get any trainee position at low level and work the way up, or go for some courses first.
    If job, would you recommend any doors I should try to knock?
    If courses any particular ones I should try? Any people, places, organizations to get the knowledge from?

Ok that's it for now. I hope you can share some ideas with me.
    Many thanks in advice.

Peter

Re: How to get to industry

Hi Peter

Sounds like this is the game for you, there is too much variety & ever changing technology to get bored

your degree knowledge gives you a good start, I think

1st thing your going to need is to become f-gas qualified, there are some adverts on these pages or search for your nearest training centre, your looking to get either city & guilds 2079-01 or citb/cskills j11, best to have at least the one week coarse or if you can afford it the two week coarses are quite common now.

Once you have this you have the minimum legal qualification

next step is work experience, your looking for a company that will not just chuck you in the deep end but a company that will put you with another engineer to start with.

companies that do installation's often take on at this level & you can then start to gain valueable experience or you could try and get a start with a facillities maintenance company & be site based in a team.

once you start to gain experience, you will then get a feel for which part of the industry you would like to be in, all of which can be quite taxing on the brain, which is what I think your looking for

I'm not permitted to advertise but if you browse the site you will notice a member called gary posting reguarly and at the bottom of each of his posts is a link to 'tech method troubleshooting' in blue

Follow this link & your be on your way http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...rigeration-101

R's chillerman
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Wendigo Guest

Hi Chillerman,

Thank you for your answer. Yeah, I can afford both, with time and money two week courses, so I will be heading this way.
    I do have one more very important question. How is the industry during winter times?

Many Thanks
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Wendigo View Post
    Hi Chillerman,

Thank you for your answer. Yeah, I can afford both, with time and money two week courses, so I will be heading this way.
    I do have one more very important question. How is the industry during winter times?

Many Thanks
    Peter
    Hi Peter

can guess your thinking - no work winter time!

its not like that mate, yes hotter climates thrive all year round but we do here too

A/c (most) now have heat pumps much cheaper to run than conventional heating
    offices, comms rooms, cold stores, etc etc still need cooling
    the way i find it normally works is as the summer ends you catch up on maintenance that has fallen behind due to, summer work over load
    maybe a bit slacker in january but normally plenty of work all year round
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !