Direct Sales of Air Conditioning Equipment to the Public

I was wondering how others in the trade feel about the selling of equipment over the internet direct to the public.

We have to train engineers to comply with F-gas laws and yet there appears to be no problem in a business supplying equipment such as Daikin, Mitsubishi etc direct to the public.

These are not the 'plug in type' systems, but systems that require flaring and pressure testing under the European Pressure Directive.

If we, as an industry, are required to provide ongoing training every few years, how can the public be allowed to purchase and self install the same equipment?

Your thoughts please.

I for one have started to lobby the Department of the Environment and Defra in this regard.

Cheers.

My tools. Screw driver, Hammer & a Condom:
    If you can't fix it, hit it. If you can't hit it, F**k it!

Re: Direct Sales of Air Conditioning Equipment to the Public

Quote Originally Posted by Refrigerologist View Post
    I was wondering how others in the trade feel about the selling of equipment over the internet direct to the public.

We have to train engineers to comply with F-gas laws and yet there appears to be no problem in a business supplying equipment such as Daikin, Mitsubishi etc direct to the public.

These are not the 'plug in type' systems, but systems that require flaring and pressure testing under the European Pressure Directive.

If we, as an industry, are required to provide ongoing training every few years, how can the public be allowed to purchase and self install the same equipment?

Your thoughts please.

I for one have started to lobby the Department of the Environment and Defra in this regard.

Cheers.
    Hi Refrigerologist

Wrong Very Wrong

Who is fitting therm for starters ?

I see all engineers service & Install alike as my colleagues & this is just robbing them of work

If your lobbying, find a way to start an online petition or post details on how to assist your lobby to defra, & I'm sure your find support

R's chillerman
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Re: Direct Sales of Air Conditioning Equipment to the Public

its great when u survey a foreigner and the customer pulls out a mickey mouse egyptian piece of sh*te that he's had a go fitting already and looks at u expecting to charge peanuts and honor warranty too!!!!!