Changing compressor sump gasket

Hi ive been asked to change a sump gasket on a semi hermetic compressor as its slowly dripping oil. Ive never had to do one of these before. What is the correct method of doing this. Obviously ill need neew gaskets for the discharge & suction line aswell. How do i go about draining the oil before hand and does each bolt need to be numbered and placed back in the original hole it came from. Ill need to know how i go about charging the compressor with fresh oil aswell. Just pour it down the suction inlet?

Re: Changing compressor sump gasket

oops posted in wrong forum if someone could move this post id appreciate it. I forgot to mention there is an oil equalising line linking 4 compressors together. I assume if i just shut the suction and discharge line and use the pressure in the compressor to drop the oil it will take oil from all 4 compressors?

Re: Changing compressor sump gasket

Hi. Oil equalizing line needs to be closed to, or disconnected and capped. Often (depending on brand) there may be an oil drain point, usually a large fitting on the end of the compressor which also usually has a magnetic stem and oil strainer. Otherwise just catch the oil out as you remove the sump cover. Don't normally need to number the bolts, just check the bolt lengths as you go - incase there are a few longer/shorter in certain positions. As for getting the oil back in - often there will be a plug on the side of the crankcase you can pump into, or let it fill from the oil equalizing line, or fill from suction point.