gbgel Guest

Is a refrigeration mechanic a dangerous job?

Hi, I am interested in taking up the trade but unsure about the safety and concerns to my health:

-Are there many substances used in the trade that are harmful
    -How often is wielding required?
    -And many times a day would you have to wield?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Hi gbgel
    There are many harmful substances in our trade - Like asbestos, fosgene, solvents, electromagnetic and electric radiation, phone radiation, refrigerants, stress, acids, oils, viruses and bugs from people, fast moving machinery, electricity, legionnaires disease, PCBs, noise, sun, and much more but around the same as most other trades.
    Welding is required around once a week for where I work but it varies on what company you work for and which area you work in.
    So if your a bit squemish do something else like an office job and you could die from getting a unfit sitting on a chair all day. It's not too bad for me and most my work mates and we enjoy it. We have much better protection today than when I started the trade many moons ago. I don't mean to scare you too much just telling the truth. it pays well compared to average jobs and you can stay honest doing your job.
    Where are you from there could be an opening where I work for an apprentice.
    Thanks for your reply,

I am very interested in the trade and think will enjoy it. I am just concerned about the welding aspect of it and risks associated with it. I was thinking of working on commercial/industrial side of it. Could you tell me if there is more or less welding here? or which areas involve the least?

Cheers
    Last edited by Josip; 22-07-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: The same matter in question

Re: Is a refrigeration mechanic a dangerous job?

Hi gbgel
    There are many harmful substances in our trade - Like asbestos, fosgene, solvents, electromagnetic and electric radiation, phone radiation, refrigerants, stress, acids, oils, viruses and bugs from people, fast moving machinery, electricity, legionnaires disease, PCBs, noise, sun, and much more but around the same as most other trades.
    Welding is required around once a week for where I work but it varies on what company you work for and which area you work in.
    So if your a bit squemish do something else like an office job and you could die from getting a unfit sitting on a chair all day. It's not too bad for me and most my work mates and we enjoy it. We have much better protection today than when I started the trade many moons ago. I don't mean to scare you too much just telling the truth. it pays well compared to average jobs and you can stay honest doing your job.
    Where are you from there could be an opening where I work for an apprentice.

What is it about welding or brazing that concerns you?

Jon
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

think he has an oxygen fetish! -couldnt resist that!

Welding`s a safe part of the job, how about falling from a ladder or tower, rotating parts, electric shocks, being hit by a fork truck on site? the list could go on. it`s as safe, or as dangerous, as you want it to be. There`s risk associated with every job, even living. You`ve just got to use common sense.

Yeh, there will be welding, oxy or electric for sure. One way or another you just suck it up and do it. Would be like asking a sparkie if there are any dangers involved with working with electrics and how often.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Horny housewives, Unhappy wife/girlfriend, vicious managers, back stabbing work mates, driving whilst your knackered.
    We should be getting danger money!

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    What is it about welding or brazing that concerns you?

Jon
    Ah, maybe the odd blob of solder that falls into your boot or shirt pocket, next to the BIC lighter.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Hi gbgel
    I think for the least amount of welding you could look at air conditioning. If you are interested in a start in Sydney PM me with a few details and I will PM back with the right contacts for an interview. I have worked on refrigeration, air conditioning, industrial and commercial, controls and fitting. We had an apprentice leave to go overseas this week so it a hot opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by mad fridgie View Post
    Horny housewives, Unhappy wife/girlfriend, vicious managers, back stabbing work mates, driving whilst your knackered.
    im familiar with the above but yet to come accross a horny house wife, maybe i'm in the wrong sector

thats because the word hot was missing from the comment,its always the swamp donkeys that want a bit! they always complain the air con is dripping water,normally due to the u value of flubber!!!

Good honest start to the thread and even better honest answers.....
    I could comment but I won't in case the boss (LOL) is looking over my shoulder...

Quote Originally Posted by mad fridgie View Post
    Horny housewives....where!!

Vicious managers??? I guess that's me. horny housewives are not unknown in these parts either.

never seen a horny housewife yet without a plan B, let alone one in a ammonia plant. The ammonia reaction on the wet bits drives them off.