Engineers/technicians/mechanics...

So..how come we're generally called Engineers? I have always been proud to be called an engineer, even though technically we are not really. Aussies call us Mechanics and more annoyingly some of the Admin girls where I work insist on calling us technicians. Technicians wear short sleeve bussiness shirts, have pens in the shirt pocket and fix photcopiers.

But serioulsy, how come we call ourselves Engineers....

Re: Engineers/technicians/mechanics...

I would think this a throw back to very early mechanical engineering, during the industrial revolution.
    Many of the first steam engineers were not academically qualified.
    Why in the US do they call train drivers, engineers.
    I think their interpretation gives more insight into the derivation, (engine.)
    Most of the very early refrigeration plants were large built up systems requiring full time attention from a person who understood the operation.
    Can not be 100% sure of this but it must be shrouded in the ability of these early operators to understand the workings of the machines they were minding.
    The army had engineers prior to this to plan and build defences and siege machines.Where did that name originate?
    Location, United Kingdom

Hi Goober
    I think it's due to our level of training, system design. I have been in Ausie for many years now and still take slight offense at being called a machanic and prefer technician but will not likely find a job with the title of engineer. We really learn more than just an engineer who learns more maths and mechanical engineering, we learn and gain experience of pure refrigeration. But that's only half of it the other half is the air side of things. We all know how much a qualified engineer knows when we get to a job that just doesn't work from install. My advanced Trade Certificate is for Refrigeration Engineering (NZQA). This title may go back to the old days where we had an "engineer" on site to look after the plant of either a building or food cooling plant.
    When I first came to Ausie and called myself an engineer they asked me if I built bridges lol, and I was put back a peg or two.
    I think there were only three people in NZ who hold an NZCE in refrigeration, even with an NZCE one could only call them selves an associate engineer.

TRASH101 is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Hi Goober
    The term engineer is directly applicable to our trade as any thermodynamic cycle; Carnot, Rankine etc. is a heat engine by definition. So the real answer to your question lies in the definition of "engine" and at what level of aptitude does some one become the "eer". I feel it is a travesty that, although an engineers title is usually respected, it has not been "preserved" as well as other professional titles.

What do you reckon?
    Last edited by TRASH101; 12-07-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: brain and hands suffering from intermittent comms error
    Quidvis Recte Factum Quamvis Humile Praeclarum.

Latine dictum, sit altum videtur.

Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Quote Originally Posted by Goober View Post
    So..how come we're generally called Engineers? I have always been proud to be called an engineer, even though technically we are not really. Aussies call us Mechanics and more annoyingly some of the Admin girls where I work insist on calling us technicians. Technicians wear short sleeve bussiness shirts, have pens in the shirt pocket and fix photcopiers.

Some people here are engineers (not me), some are mechanics (seal and oil changes, filters, installations etc). I probably am closer to a technician with my pens, notepads, meters, laptop etc.
    Can be any or all depending on your skillset, ability and work. Lots of people here are engineers.

I don't know anyone on the tools in AU that is or calls themselves and engineer though, it's mainly practical work when training in AU, so you're a mechanic as it's an apprenticeship learning on the job vocation. There is further study like elsewhere but it's optional, and I went into the troubleshooting and repair stream. It's pretty much my life interest, I don't know how or want to build anything - I just want to fix it, be it my car, my fridge, my PC, my house, my appliance etc - a natural interest I've had since a child. So that's what got my working in this field and I'm still rubbish at building stuff or theory on anything.

In other places it may be more theory, mathematical and engineering based, so they are more 'engineers' when studies are completed. Training here though got really dumbed down in the 1990s just to get more people 'trained' up to increase the blue collar trades which HVAC and refrig is part off.

edit: And I got through

Down here there's 'electricians' and 'electrical engineers'
    Completely different training required, and the term 'engineer' is not used lightly here.
    Meanwhile everywhere else, everyone can be an electrician
    An electrician here wouldn't call themselves an electrical engineer just for a title, just like refrigeration mechanics/techs here don't call themselves refrigeration engineer, because it's an apprenticeship with much learning on the job, not a college degree.
    Last edited by paul_h; 12-07-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Hey Goober, are you looking to increase your status now that you work in the presence of the females?? Seriously, the term engineer is rarely used in my area. I've been called many names over the years, but "mechanic" or "fridge guy" seems to be the norm. Only thoes that know me well enough call me Mick the pr1ck
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Just a thought, a long time ago when I worked in the States we were called service men, I think that is a description that covers what we do.
    Location, United Kingdom

Hi Goober.
    My TC [ 9000hours]and ATC [ additional 2000hrs] certificate no 80, says Refrigeration Engineering.
    Call me anything so long as I'M not called late for lunch.

From what i've seen in the UK, Engineers and Technicians are two completely different roles.

Only recently, a few of us within our company faught hard to get our job titles changed from Technician to Engineer - not because it sounds better, not because it involves more money, not how they dress, because we didn't feel like 'Technicians'

One of my collegues told me, Technicians have set rules; tasks to be completed in order.
    Engineers, on the other hand, have free-thought; there's more than one way to kill a cow. Technicians are told what to do; Engineers think on their feet.

Now, before I get flamed, there's nothing in the above to say an Engineer is 'smarter' than a Technician, or a Technician is 'better' than an Engineer. Essentially, they are the same.

Mechanics? They work on cars. Also known as a 'grease monkey'...
    Mechanical Engineers??? They work on Agricultural gear like rock crushers and belt weighers... Mechanical Technician??? Fixes what the Mechanical Engineers can't fix

Wiki, seems to think different though...

An engineer is a professional practitioner of engineering, concerned with applying scientific knowledge, mathematics and ingenuity to develop solutions for technical and practical problems. Engineers design materials, structures, machines and systems while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, safety and cost.[1][2] The word engineer is derived from the Latin root ingenium, meaning "cleverness".[3]
    Engineers are grounded in applied sciences, and their work in research and development is distinct from the basic research focus of scientists.[2] The work of engineers forms the link between scientific discoveries and their subsequent applications to human needs.

A technician is a worker in a field of technology who is proficient in the relevant skills and techniques, with a relatively practical understanding of the theoretical principles. Experienced technicians in a specific tool domain typically have intermediate understanding of theory and expert proficiency in technique. As such, technicians are generally much better versed in technique compared to average layman and even general professionals in that field of technology.

What p!sses me off is when I get called a fridgie by my old boss for obtaining gas handling, and he knows damn well i'm a Control Systems Engineer.

What would you like to be called???

Jay.
    Still bashing in RDM's l!ve for a living.

monkey , oil rag , labouror , fridge fella , fixer , the list is endless