Engineers only section

I think it's high time we had a large portion of the forum "locked" for engineers and associated professionals only.

As professionals we know the intricacies of our trade, i don't mind people seeking genuine advice on problems (this could be done in a public forum with people fully aware they are dealing with non trade).

The main issue i have is that increasingly the public are seeking for us to justify our costs on the forum, thankfully no one has risen to the bait but it is only a matter of time before someone says something that may earn them a site ban!

I love the site and the banter that we as tradesmen can have, without joe public judging us!

alec

Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.

Re: Engineers only section

Yes that might be a good idea, one of the other refrigeration forums will only let you into some of their technical threads if you can proove that you work or have worked in the respective field. And you are also judged on your first 15 posts by the way you comment on topics. The only thing wrong with that is I suppose is if you're retired, a labourer or mate/helper, or you're a trainee, proof might be difficult regarding qualifications or some other proof. One way to proove it might be to have a ten question test covering the basics of fridge, aircon, heating, and electrical. But then again the trainee or mate/helper might not have sufficient knowledge of the technical side to obtain a passmark. I'm sure if the commitee and the moderators feel the same way a solution will be met.
    Training may be finished but experience is never complete.

Hey Chill
    i don't think we need frighten anyone with tests either a recommendation or just observing how they contribute would be enough?

alec

Just ban price queries ???
    Cheers
    Stu
    Tool's ? check ! Condom's ? check !
    If you can't fix it , f*ck it !!!

That would work too!

alec

paulus22 Guest

although i think your remarks are just sorry fella i do'not agree, i've been in the industry for over 25 years and have never been questioned about how much i charge, having clients in royalty to council tennants. if you are a good engineer noone will question your ability, it might be just me because i am not money orientated, but if somone wants advise im more than happy to help. just my view!!!!

what about a background check of history of companies worked for or wholsalers recommendation for equipment bought?

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

I can see where Al is coming from with his suggestion but would question as to how it could ever be policed.

You have to remember that this forum covers the globe now, it isn't just for the UK although it is based here, and yes Al I know that you may be from Eire but you're close enough. How would you decide who should or should not be included, your rules, the UK rules, the EU rules, the USA rules, the Middle East, the Far East, Asian, Pacific Rim etc., the list gets quite long when you begin to spell it out.

The internet is a wide open space full of knowledge and miss-information as well. If you don't like some of the questions you are not obliged to answer them. Likewise, if you feel that a post goes against something you feel then please report it. There's no guarantee that you will like the result but most try to be as fair as possible.

The ability to learn that has been provided by the members here I think shows a great spirit and personally I would hate to see that diminished because we are hiding behind a them and us curtain.

So there's my two-cents worth.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

No worries Brian, thanks for the input, this isn't a response to a particular post but more a worry of an ongoing trend that i think is going to get worse as prices tighten.

Alec

I think Brian's answer says it all.
    And many of the public write in to this site and the other one because they are desperate for some small amount of knowledge because they have been taken advantage of by the small percent of technicians out there, world-wide, who are shoddy

But that side wouldn't change, i'm not talking about removing the public from the site, just restricting certain areas?

Alec

Guys, coming from the boiler and solar trade, I know those costs very well. But in Canada very few people do heat pumps, other than mits and fujitsu ductless. I had to get some pricing ideas from listening to you guys (and that talk was infrequent, even if I asked directly). Given how long it took me to get what little pricing I did get, I think most homeowners who are just here price hunting would go away if we just would not divulge the costs. I think it would be a good idea to have the small trade only section for more sensitive topics so I would support that. Have it in the regular column, labeled as such and un reachable by the masses.

Hi Mike

That's what i'm angling for, in fairness i've taken advice from members both on and off forum on pricing and general work advice issues and in no way would i like to detract from that.

alec

Hi Alec.

I think I know you just enough to understand where it comes from.
    It can work just fine if the engineers who participate in that restricted sub forum will be committed to the idea.

Remember the "chat" section we had here? it died slowly cause it was not seen by the public.
    The basic idea of the forum is the publicity and the wide variety of opinions and different knowledge.
    I would give it a try but I am very skeptic.

We can discuss it over on Skype.

I can see how it would be useful. Recently for example, after trying both my local wholesalers only to find their whole network out of stock, i've found a source of replacement motors that are quite a bit cheaper than what the wholesalers sells them for, but think its info thats best kept for those that need to know.

There are pleanty of people who do not understand how a business works and how it needs to work to survive, believing that parts should be fitted at cost and as we get our hands dirty at work we must surely be thick and should think ourselves lucky to be on minimum wage.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Hi Chemi, maybe over the weekend? This isn't coming from exclusion more from the type of stuff that Monkey is talking about, indeed could be useful from an equipment sourcing point of view.

alec

Quote Originally Posted by al View Post
    Hi Chemi, maybe over the weekend? This isn't coming from exclusion more from the type of stuff that Monkey is talking about, indeed could be useful from an equipment sourcing point of view.

alec
    That is very true, sourcing is one of those sensitive issues that I think some of us would be more open to discussing in a more private forum. Don't ask me to skype, I am a neo-luddite (when it suits me).

all well and good and then you are back to the problem of how to decide who has access to the "special section", and
    don't the mods have enough to do now?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHolm View Post
    That is very true, sourcing is one of those sensitive issues that I think some of us would be more open to discussing in a more private forum. Don't ask me to skype, I am a neo-luddite (when it suits me).
    Had to look up what neo-thingy was. I don't know how to use skyp anyhow, so there...
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeref View Post
    Had to look up what neo-thingy was. I don't know how to use skyp anyhow, so there...
    Mike, it's a really good excuse when technology sucks or you just can't be arsed to learn it