Thread: Today's the Day

Today's the Day

4th of July 2011....Fgas Company Certificates become Law

Anyone working with an Interim Certificate is now breaking the Law.

Do you think all this re-training, registration and fee paying has helped the industry?

Has anything exceptional happened to you or your company because of it?

Re: Today's the Day

the training has to be good? any training is better than no training if you learn its got to be all good for the engineer the company and the customer on provision everyone sticks to the rules. the biggest problem is will the bad traders stick to it and will it be policed correctley? i was so ashamed about the j 11 i done in march 2010 i wondered why i bothered. i sent another engineer to a different trainer and he was like a fountain of knowledge afterwards. the only change to the company to be fair is more paperwork, the work was done right before and its done correctley now.the problem being will everyone stick to it. the one thing i do like now is the log books as you can sea the history of equipment but i belive some of the training needs to be regulated more this to me is highly important i also have a problem with these intensive courses 2 weeks training and of we go? we all have to learn and we learn each day i interviewed what i thought was a fully trained engineer to find out he had just done a two week course and his traineer told him a job would be in the bag he rode with me for a day and on a tev change he could not reclaim/flare or nitrogen charge we all got to learn but this guy had his papers

I think its a step in the right direct but i think the industry needs more of a brisk walk than just a step.

We are not alone in this though i think its an underlying culture in the uk to pay cheap and have a low skilled workforce.

Jon
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Quote Originally Posted by charlie patt View Post
    the training has to be good? any training is better than no training if you learn its got to be all good for the engineer the company and the customer on provision everyone sticks to the rules. the biggest problem is will the bad traders stick to it and will it be policed correctley? i was so ashamed about the j 11 i done in march 2010 i wondered why i bothered. i sent another engineer to a different trainer and he was like a fountain of knowledge afterwards. the only change to the company to be fair is more paperwork, the work was done right before and its done correctley now.the problem being will everyone stick to it. the one thing i do like now is the log books as you can sea the history of equipment but i belive some of the training needs to be regulated more this to me is highly important i also have a problem with these intensive courses 2 weeks training and of we go? we all have to learn and we learn each day i interviewed what i thought was a fully trained engineer to find out he had just done a two week course and his traineer told him a job would be in the bag he rode with me for a day and on a tev change he could not reclaim/flare or nitrogen charge we all got to learn but this guy had his papers
    one of my wholesalers has told me no one has told him that he has to ask for papers/quals to supply them with gas he is asking but no body is policing this ,i guess its all as before?

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    I think its a step in the right direct but i think the industry needs more of a brisk walk than just a step.

We are not alone in this though i think its an underlying culture in the uk to pay cheap and have a low skilled workforce.

Jon
    It is not just a UK culture it seems to be the way everywhere, People won't necessarily go to the chepest Doctor but they think all equipment and refrigeration engineers are the same, some you just pay less for.
    As a side note I think it quite curious that your government should implement more intrusive laws and taxes or fees which ever you prefer on the American Independence day.

I wonder how many companies there are without even a interim certificate i.e. no F GAS certificate at all
    Last edited by Quality; 05-07-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Quality View Post
    I wonder how many companies there are without even a interim certificate i.e. no F GAS certificate at all
    Loads but as I have just spent a few grand registering the company and staff I will have no hesitation in shopping any I find out who can't /won't do the same

Quote Originally Posted by r.bartlett View Post
    Loads but as I have just spent a few grand registering the company and staff I will have no hesitation in shopping any I find out who can't /won't do the same
    strange people will always cut corners,but is it a criminal offence not to be compliant if it is who will prosecute and if we want to ;shop;; somebody who do we call?.

@cadwaladr, not sure for the UK but EPA has the task of policing compliance in Ireland. Lo-call 1890 33 55 99. There is only a couple of staff in the section but tenders are just back for an auditing and policing contract, so I expect to see movement in the next couple of months. I'm sure they would love to hear where they should start looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
    It is not just a UK culture it seems to be the way everywhere, People won't necessarily go to the chepest Doctor but they think all equipment and refrigeration engineers are the same, some you just pay less for.
    As a side note I think it quite curious that your government should implement more intrusive laws and taxes or fees which ever you prefer on the American Independence day.
    Yes very ironic indeed, and with a lack of representation for the masses and individuals, only stealth taxes.
    Training may be finished but experience is never complete.