A real dilemma !!

hi guys, i have a potential problem i would like some advice on. i am a sub contractor and i have my 2079 and my company is REFCOM registered, now a company i do a bit for has asked me to supply my NI number my date of birth and my 2079 certificate number. i know the guy uses other subbys who have no qualifications nor does himself or his lads. i know he wants my details so he can register as a full REFCOM member to satisfy his customers who i know are chasing him for documents. i dont think i should give him my details but i obviously risk not getting anymore work from him if i say no.

thanks in advance
    Kev

Re: A real dilemma !!

dont give him ur details,if he gets arsey then report him-he should get his hand in his pocket and get his mutants trained up.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Does this statement from the Refcom site answer it?

Are sub-contractors covered by the Regulations?

If your business employs sub-contractors to carry out SRACHP work then those sub-contractors must have an interim certificate or a full certificate. You can not apply for a certificate on their behalf.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Simple answer is don't do it. But we don't live in a simple world, bills need paying and work is needed to do this...

I think i'd play it a bit nieve and say its ok, i've checked with Refcom and he doesn't need all that info to check my registration as he can look my company up on there list of aproved contractors just like anybody else. I might then drop into the conversation that they had had, would you believe some people trying to use other engineers details to get duplicate registrations and that they were wise to it, deary me what is the world coming to...

I'd be aiming to basically say no, but without him losing face.

Good luck!

Jon
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

You could be polite first, ask him to sign a diclaimer first.
    He is in his right to ask for your copy quals.
    Hi Fred, sure you can have copy of my quals, but before I send can you please sign a witness document stating that the information provided can only be used for the purpose it is intended for, which is to certify work carried out by me Kev the tool ONLY and no others without my written autherisation , or words to that affect

Thanks Lads, the guy has told me he wants to use my details to obtain his full cert, so no chance of blagging it. to be honest i dont do loads for him but he does owe me about 5k so i dont want to give him an excuse to be an ar*e when it comes to paying me, as for working for him again i am not too worried about that.
    Kev

He doesn't give you enough to justify you doing this.... tell him he should try putting his own details in and make up a bogus certificate number. I bet that REFCOM don't/can't check them as they simply do not have the manpower.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev The Tool View Post
    Thanks Lads, the guy has told me he wants to use my details to obtain his full cert, so no chance of blagging it. to be honest i dont do loads for him but he does owe me about 5k so i dont want to give him an excuse to be an ar*e when it comes to paying me, as for working for him again i am not too worried about that.
    Kev
    Tell him the info has not come through yet and drag it out hopefully untill you get your money... This person is just getting what he wants for nothing and that stinks..Mike.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

I had a guy use my gas ticket and contractor # years ago, without my knowing, and he had an accident. Took me 6 months to get out of the mess and screwed up my insurance for 2 years. Kev, don't do it. Write off the money as a bad debt if you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHolm View Post
    I had a guy use my gas ticket and contractor # years ago, without my knowing, and he had an accident. Took me 6 months to get out of the mess and screwed up my insurance for 2 years. Kev, don't do it. Write off the money as a bad debt if you have to.
    Yes, thats what i was thinking of when i wrote last reply, but i thought Kev might at least have a shot at his money before writing it off. Still think that no details should be given. String him out and avoid any work from him saying you are booked up for some time.. Mike.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

No harm in trying to get the money but the qualifications are only yours.

Hi Kev.
    I bet this all is leaving a bad taste in your mouth.
    No is your only answer really which i think you already know?
    (Which is what all the other Guys are saying.)
    Good luck and in fairness to the guy he is not trying to hide his attempt at fiddling to you.
    So do the same and admit that you cannot do so either.
    Why is he so scared of obtaining the certs himself, or has he run out of time?
    Grizzly

Hi Guys,
    spoke to him and he has said "i need your details so i can blag a full refcom cert", i am thinking that i might give him bogus details and by the time he finds out i will have been paid and i wash my hands of him. i dont mind helping people out, but i worked hard to get my quals and i am trying to be a responsible company, i just think why should i just give up my details to help someone who cant be ars*ed. thanks for all your replies i will keep you posted.
    Kev

Go for it.....as long as you don't mind burning bridges, and you already decided he is not worth keeping (hope he doesn't read this forum)