ashdec Guest

Hotpoint HM315FF faulty? or not?

I bought this integrated frost free fridge freezer in december, and fitted it in february as I was replacing my kitchen, I suspect it has a minor fault - but cannot be sure and was hoping a qualified refrigeration engineer can help out please?

It chills fine, the problem for me is that the fan (and / or compressor) has a brief stutter which becomes more frequent the longer it runs.

If the fan (or compressor) is required to come on it does so fine, it runs with a constant hum for a few minutes then I hear a momentary pause or stutter which then is repeated in intervals with a shorter frequency between each pause than the last one. for example the fan runs for 2 minutes then stutters, then it runs 1 min 50 then stutters, then 1 min 30 etc etc until it shuts off once at temperature.

I did have the hotpoint service guy round who changed the control board but it is still the same (intermittent pauses in the fan behaviour) - the only difference now is than when i previously opened the fridge door the fan stopped and restarted within 0.5 seconds, it doesnt stop now and the fan is continuous (unless it coincides with one of the stutters). He did say it was fitted correctly with good airflow around the unit.

Am I right to be concerned? I believe that the fan should be continuous with no stutter or momentary pause? Hotpoint just want to send the same guy round but he doesnt know if this behaviour is correct or not?

Thanks in advance.

Colin

Re: Hotpoint HM315FF faulty? or not?

If the fan is wired through the door switch then that may be a cause,poor connection/faulty switch .The compressor won't normally switch straight back on as it has an overload device to prevent it trying to restart against high pressure in the system otherwise it can fry the motor.
    R600a refrigerant used in these is quite noisey when circulating with a gushing sound very noticeable.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving” Einstein

ashdec Guest

it sounds as if the fan wants to stop - that is what the pausing resembles to me. Its not a gushing sound so i'm confident it is the fan. will the fan and compressor always run simultaneously? the "engineer" changed the control board and found one of the plugs (4 wire) not pushed all the way home, they are all ok now though. I may be being picky, but the pausing is annoying me now because it doesnt sound right!

The fan and compressor are supplied independently,after defrost the compressor runs but the fan doesn't kick in until minus 12c approx is reached on the evaporator.Possibly a poor connection somewhere.
    Last edited by spimps; 23-06-2011 at 09:46 PM.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving” Einstein