gkm24 Guest

Bosch freezer compartment struggling to keep cold

My Bosch Fridge Freezer model: KGU3201GB/07 has been a fantastic unit and is still as spotless as the day I bought it. The trouble with it is that it is struggling to keep at the normal -18 especially after topping it up with food after shopping, even if you switch it to super. I am guessing that it may need re-gassing??? Any ideas and is it worth repairing as it is an older model. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Bosch freezer compartment struggling to keep cold

I have the same model Bosch which experiences the same problem at least once a year.

It sounds like you need to manually defrost the evaporator unit to clear the ice which is blocking the air flow through it.

Bosch will suggest you empty the freezer and leave it switched off for 24 hours with the door open.

The alternative is to remove the false back panel from within the freezer compartment and 'carefully' use a hair dryer to defrost the evaporator. It can be completed in less than an hour.

fwiw, you may want to look at my recent posts on the ukwhitegoods.co.uk forum where I have been investigating a more permanent solution to this issue.

Re: Bosch freezer compartment struggling to keep cold

Worth a check as well

The big coil/metal plate at the back normally found thick with dust is the condensor

The dust does not really cause much problem apart from make your compressor do some extra work, untill the ambient temperature in the summer

Give this a good hoover and then wipe with a damp cloth to remove any remaining muck

This will help your unit to pull down quicker and helps prevent Iced evaporators

As the longer a system runs, the more moisture it collects