Thread: Bloody Kids!

Bloody Kids!

Can any body beat this?
    New kid 19yr old starts on monday at 7am
    Sits in van/stands outside smoking untill 11am when the waggon arrives.
    Helps unload delivery of FCU's, unistrut, rod etc
    Helps carry 5 fcu's to 2nd floor, 4 to 1st floor and 3 on ground floor.
    Gets home for 4:45pm
    This morning at 7am, no new kid? must be ill or something?
    7.30 pm kid rings up, "sorry i slept through 4 alarms and now i'm still tired and aching allover", " i'm not sure it's the kind of job i want", "can you drop off my wages?"

To which, before i started shouting, i gently pressed the telephone red button.

I will never, ever, employ a youth again.

cheers

eggs

Re: Bloody Kids!

Eggs , we all were yough (i still am ) an needed a place to start from . . .
    Engineering, sciences, math, physics and my brain will generate "not responding " soon

Eggs,

4-5 hours of work was too much for the guy. And he wants to get paid for a full shift

I can understand why you might get upset. I would probably have used some "choice" words also.

If I have my terms correct, it was a little cheeky of him to ask you to drop off his wages though.

Usually if the kid wants the job bad enough he will bust his rear to get things done. Sounds like this one wanted to collect just the money.

This kind of story does not help the good kids who will work, but, I know there are a lot of each.

Hope you have better luck with the next one.

We need to comprehend something.....
    We are living in a different era

The youth today do not want to work hard.........
    It is very unusual to see a youngster working these days

Kids want their baseball caps, their trainers........their Ipods.....

Uni courses...........skiving and loafing......and parents to supply them with money.........

Thats why old fridge geezers still abound...............if only they can come to grips with programming Eliwell controllers!!!

Give them their Paragons and there laughing!!

Maybe the kid though that the refrigeration job was different , he tried and didn't like it . . . .
    when we were teenagers how many jobs did we consider before choosing ???
    Engineering, sciences, math, physics and my brain will generate "not responding " soon

today, i was lucky enough to re-employ and old employee who left to join a bigger company. he has just been laid off two weeks ago.
    he is married with 2 bin lids and a hefty mortgage, i can not see any reliability problems with him.

all's well that ends well

cherrs

eggs

Eggs glad to know that the problem is solved .

good luck
    Last edited by botrous; 05-10-2005 at 09:42 PM.

G'day guys.

I have to agree with you about kids these days, but there are always exceptions to the rule.

One of our mechanics brings in his son about twice a week to work.

I was relocating the indoor unit of a 10kW wall mounted split. O.K. that might not be rocket science but I was surprised at this kids natural ability.

While he worked with me he listened to everything. He kept his mind on the job and most importantly of all he didnt talk **** all day.(Oh and also he crawled into a really small space to undo the flare nuts that I would of have to have done if he wasn,t there ) All without complaint too.

When his dad arrived to pick him up and take him home I mentioned to him how well he had worked. His father just acknowledged my comment and didn't make to big a fuss about it. Before working with us his father ran a one man show for 25 years but now works on wages because he is managing his farm also, so I would say this kid knows what work is about.

I reckon it all boils down to how they are brought up.If the kid is spoilt **** rotten then they probably wont have a great work ethic.

The tradesman that an apprentice works under also has an impact on his future work ethic.Does anybody remember coolkev? I did the first year of my apprenticeship. He was possibly the hardest tradesman that I ever worked under and many times I felt like chucking it in. But now 16 Years later I can not thank him enough for toughening me up.

Regards.

Hi Guys,

I have to agree with Temprite. If you were lucky enough to work for on old hand and were trained in the same manner, you could not ask for a better experience.

Almost everyone I trained under was from the "old school" way of doing things also. Very long days in the summer and always in a rush, but still do the job right.

Not much time for chatting except to ask questions, learn, and just do it.

You cannot buy this kind of training. And perhaps, most would quit because it is tough.

As the old saying goes, if you can't stand the heat, don't go into the kitchen.

Regards,
    US Iceman

Hi Eggs,

Was this his application form?

NAME: Greg Bulmash

SEX: Not yet. Still waiting for the right person.

DESIRED POSITION: Company's President or Vice President. But seriously, whatever's available. If I was in a position to be picky, I wouldn't be applying here in the first place.

DESIRED SALARY: $185,000 a year plus stock options and a Michael Ovitz style severance package. If that's not possible, make an offer and we can haggle.

EDUCATION: Yes.

LAST POSITION HELD: Target for middle management hostility.

SALARY: Less than I'm worth.

MOST NOTABLE ACHIEVEMENT: My incredible collection of stolen pens and post-it notes.

REASON FOR LEAVING: It sucked.

HOURS AVAILABLE TO WORK: Any.

PREFERRED HOURS: 1:30-3:30 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

DO YOU HAVE ANY SPECIAL SKILLS?: Yes, but they're better suited to a more intimate environment.

MAY WE CONTACT YOUR CURRENT EMPLOYER?: If I had one, would I be here?

DO YOU HAVE ANY PHYSICAL CONDITIONS THAT WOULD PROHIBIT YOU FROM LIFTING UP TO 50 LBS?: Of what?

DO YOU HAVE A CAR?: I think the more appropriate question here would be "Do you have a car that runs?"

HAVE YOU RECEIVED ANY SPECIAL AWARDS OR RECOGNITION?: I may already be a winner of the Publishers Clearing house Sweepstakes.

DO YOU SMOKE?: On the job no, on my breaks yes.

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE DOING IN FIVE YEARS?: Living in the Bahamas with a fabulously wealthy dumb sexy blonde super model who thinks I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread. Actually, I'd like to be doing that now.

DO YOU CERTIFY THAT THE ABOVE IS TRUE AND COMPLETE TO THE BEST OF YOUR KNOWLEDGE?: Yes. Absolutely.

SIGN HERE: Aries
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

Hi Chillin,

It would seem that you are on the right track. If this position is open I would like to apply. I would have one stipulation though...

I get to pick out the blonde model. The picture of one you posted in an earlier thread is not my type!

Also, I would be willing to make a concession on the pay, but only if the hours in Monday are negotiable to a lower amount.

I'll be waiting for your call.

US Iceman

Crikey this thread is a blast from way back.

I never did learn my lesson, currently we have an apprentice. He is six months into his NVQ, seems to be doing fine. He gets up on time and is always asking for more work to do

He tells me that he is the only one on his course who does installs, all the rest are on service.

Eggs

kids are kids the whole world owes them everything for ++++all . just wait until hes finnished at college he will want more money because he is an engineer the day he passes .
    Last edited by tony--1; 15-12-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Hmmm... to me, almost everyone is a kid...

I recall my father complaining about "the kids these days"... and he probably heard similar complaints from his father... who probably heard it from his father... lol

Seems I recall archaeologists found similar complaints written on clay tablets from circa 600 BC.
    Last edited by Gary; 15-12-2009 at 01:33 AM.

Employ a teenager while they know everything, usually between the ages of 17 and 22, reality kicks in and with no money they start to realize the world is not there free-right, and the term a free lunch is a myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Hmmm... to me, almost everyone is a kid...

I recall my father complaining about "the kids these days"... and he probably heard similar complaints from his father... who probably heard it from his father... lol

Seems I recall archaeologists found similar complaints written on clay tablets from circa 600 BC.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
    authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
    of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
    households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
    contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
    at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

ATTRIBUTION: Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato

Cheers taz

Quote Originally Posted by taz24 View Post
    "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
    authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
    of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
    households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
    contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
    at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

ATTRIBUTION: Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato

Cheers taz

Who would have thought my A Level in philosophy would be regurgitated on a refrigeration forum?

Knew I should have been a rock star.

eggs

Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    Who would have thought my A Level in philosophy would be regurgitated on a refrigeration forum?

Knew I should have been a rock star.

eggs

Who says education does not work.

Cheers taz