jimmya824 Guest

My GE tfx25zazww fridge wont get cold

When its plugged in, you can hear it trying to run. I hear a click sound, wait 5 seconds and it clicks again. Like its timing out or something. The capacitor is good. Attached to the compressor is what I assume is the overload and relay. The overload shows 120vac when in that 5 second click cycle. And the relay shows constant 120vac. Is this correct? Any help getting this thing running would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Jimmy

Re: my ge tfx25zazww fridge wont get cold

Hello
    The compressor motor windings may be burnt out somewhwere : the 120V come up in vain to the motor. Check the windings with an ohmmeter (after the fridge is unplugged from the mains).
    The motor protection may be installed inside the compressor - a bi-metal contact, so, again, the voltage is present but the contact is open and no current flows. Use current clamp meter to have more clear picture of what is going to the fridge. Also the compressor may be jammed/ burnt but still passing (starting) current and you hear the sound of the protection (bi-metal) relay opening and closing. However, in such case you would detect voltage sags.
    Such posts usually don't get much response - there may lie too many causes behind the misfunction. Most probably your fridge lost its gas - you won't be able to fix it by yourself anyway.