Thread: Start up....

Mick J Guest

Question Start up....

Hi Guys,

This is my first post so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place or not but...

I'm thinking about making the leap and going it alone doing air con and refrigeration, service and install.

I have a few contacts i've built up over the years but just wondering what the market is like at the moment for sub contract labour with the recession and all. any one have any idea?

Thanks.

Re: Start up....

Work out how much you need to earn each day to live on, pay all you company bills etc, phone round a few companies and see what they pay subbies a day, compare the two figures. Don't forget you won't be working five days a week even if you could get enough work to book you up full time, jobs get cancelled or postponed.

One of the companies i sub to i earn less an hour than i did employed seven years ago, but its better than nothing....

Jon
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

I've tried the self employed route for almost a year now and for me things arn't that good. Not had much work (craps) and it's hard. I've decided to pack it in and get a job, but thats hard as well no one is employing at the moment. If you do go self employed keep your job and do jobs on the side untill it becomes self sufficient enough for you to go full time on your own. Makes sense.

I`ve been doing jobs on the side with a view to going on my own for about two years now and I`m about to give it up as it`s just to much grief trying to fit it all in. My weekends, holidays and many evenings are spent either hands on or sourcing parts doing quotes etc. Oh, at let`s not forget trying to get paid. So much so that I`m now off with stress.
    There`s a massive gap between too much work on the side and enough to be able to go full time. It seems we just can`t win.
    Please forgive the rant but I just needed to get it off my chest.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn1340 View Post
    I`ve been doing jobs on the side with a view to going on my own for about two years now and I`m about to give it up as it`s just to much grief trying to fit it all in. My weekends, holidays and many evenings are spent either hands on or sourcing parts doing quotes etc. Oh, at let`s not forget trying to get paid. So much so that I`m now off with stress.
    There`s a massive gap between too much work on the side and enough to be able to go full time. It seems we just can`t win.
    Please forgive the rant but I just needed to get it off my chest.
    It's a big decision to go it alone and here in Aus, there so many loops to jump through legally before one can take on that first job. Many times i wondered "WHAT NEXT" when after a year or so into going it alone, another department threatened to close me down unless i completed their business course. Income was crap for the first couple of years but managed to survive by doing the jobs no-one else wanted. Here's a tip: Don't go into a partnership as it rarely works out, and be be prepared to NOT have a social life or days off untill business is steady... well, days off are still a challenge some 16 years down the track.. Mike.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Difficult times to go it alone at the moment everyone seems to be cutting back so unless you can hit the ground running with some decent contracts/customers I would, personally, think about holding off for a while.

It is hard for the guy's that are established and as mikeref said income is crap for the first couple of years, I guess even more so at the moment.

Don't take this the wrong way, more a realistic take on the situation at this present time. A lot depends on your personal life circumstances and how much you need to earn to survive.

Whatever you do good luck though.

if you want a social life and a family life i would advise to leave it alone/ i done it in 2003 and never looked back but like above says holidays nil work load high pay good but loads and loads of hrs self employed you do the work the quotes the paperwork then the lovely tax vat, registration to various bodies hse etc etc the bigest thorn is the bad payers job done well costomer happy then the i will put a cheque in the post starts if you have a good customer base go for it but keep your start up costs to a min, buy a sh van do your own flyers and be prepared for some nockbacks being self employed you get the good the bad and the ugly but seeing a load of the big boys going down how safe are you in your current position/ being self employed at least you have a say