kerry85 Guest

Air con/refrigeration engineer vs plumbing

Hi
    Ive been at college training to be a plumber for the last 2 years and im due to finish any day. Ive been offered an interview for a trainee air con/refrigeration engineer position. Could you tell me more about what this role would roughly involve and possibly why it would be a good career path over plumbing? Plumbing is pretty quiet atm and virtually impossible to get in to anyway!
    Thanks

Re: Air con/refrigeration engineer vs plumbing

Hi Kerry
    Generally form what I've seen and heard on the job as a fridgie - fridgie work is cleaner, well I mean there aint no toilet paper in A/C refrig drains. I think it is more interesting, challenging, and varied. Money wise some plumbers get paid more but on average it's the same. You will learn more about other things - electrical and mechanical. There are similarities like fluid systems, drainage, heat transfer, piping and welding. It wouldn't hurt to have a look as the door is open for an interview. Check them out. With your two years learning already it will be an easy and fast tracked apprenticeship. I work on a big variety of stuff to give you an idea in the last month I have worked on Steam heating systems, chillers, boiler controls, a fridge with body parts in it, ducting, cleaning moldy split A/C, changing and repairing PCBs, PVC Drain repipe, BMS Controls, changing filters and V-belts and adjusting thermostats. About a third of this time I had an apprentice with me and I enjoyed passing on the skills.
    Don't hesitate and grab the opportunity by the balls and get the ac/fride job now.

Almost forgot - Welcome to our forum Kerry
    Last edited by Tesla; 31-05-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Welcome

Body parts Tesla?? Reminds me of a job some years ago where i had to slide into the upper tier of chiller that was recently vacated by some-one so as to change the thermostat, when... this prick slammed the door on me!! What happened next, i'll let you guess.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

I will advise you to pick-up the HVAC controls consist of all sort of protocol based BMS high levels interfacing. By doing this your collar will turn blue to white, just HVAC service engineer jobs are a bit grey collor jobs as Tesla said.

Hi mikeref.
    so the air was bluish and smelt brownish. By chance was it a morgue.