francisamc Guest

Max height difference between Indoor and outdoor unit

I am considering buying a Shinco split ac but it says the max ht diff is 5M, if my ht is 7M does this mean there is a reduction in cooling ability or does it not work properly?

Thanks

Re: Max height difference between Indoor and outdoor unit

Before you buy make sure you can get parts, the Chinese stuff (I'm assuming that is what it is ) can be dodgy. You will find lots of stories on this site.

francisamc Guest

Yes that is an issue but the main distributor in Canada is close to me, but is the ht diff a real issue?

francisamc Guest

Ok to clarify again, does anyone know does the height difference between the compressor and the indoor unit of a split system have a significant effect on the performance if the recommended ht is exceeded by 15%??

Outdoor unit is placed at roof top (for example) and indoor unit is below, I believed that exceeding 15% of 5 meter (5.75 meters should be Okay with upsized suction line. Not only height you have to look into total piping length as well, all exceeding the limitations of height and length, then performance are very very poor significantly.
    Flashing will take place, oil return poor and more.
    But if your outdoor unit placed at ground floor, then there is no room to move and a bit risky for exceeding especially on height. Compressor won't last long for sure.

If possible, choosing a bigger capacity unit can be a good option. Because while exceeding the max vertical+horizontal differences, you have a risk of lack of oil inside the compressor (especially for peak winter and summer days).
    But a bigger capacity with an inverter compressor means "operation with low frequency" and less risk of overheating on compressor.
    A 5 kwh of inverter RAC has been working for 6 years in my office with a 9 m vertical (15 m max), 42 m horizxontal (30 m max). But the room's cooling load is just 2 kwh.