janerio Guest

Problems with volunteering?

Hi all!

I've been trying to break into this industry for some time. Unfortunately its proven more difficult than I expected! I've resorted to contacting companies and asking if I can "tag along" and do some voluntary work a few days a week to get the experience for the NVQ. A couple of companies have got back to me. I have some experience in this industry doing basic pipework, hanging units, etc.

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has volunteered with a company and found it worthwhile? My problem is, when a company takes on an apprentice, they see the apprentice as an investment in the business so they go out of their way to ensure he/she is learning everything correctly. As a volunteer who is just tagging along to gain experience, i'm just a little worried I will be pushed aside as the engineers wont see any benefit in going out of their way to train me up.

So has anyone found offering their services for free a success in chasing down this elusive NVQ?

Re: Problems with volunteering?

I work in the industry and also in training and I see this all the time.

You will need to get your name known as sombody who is prepared to work.

It will not be easy and it might not pay off but I know of guys who it did work for
    and these guys are now in well paid jobs within the industry.

If your not born into a fridge family, have an uncle or friend in fridge or are under
    17 years old there is no easy way to get into the industry.

All the best

taz

Hi Janerio,

Where in thr uk are you?

I've worked with quite a few other engineers over the years, some are helpful and sharing with their knowledge, others are not and some will deliberatly set you on the wrong track, i don't think you being an aprentice or just helping out will make much difference, people are either helpful or they aren't.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

janerio Guest

Cheers Taz, thats all I wanted to hear really, that people have done it, and it has worked out for them. As "Monkey spanners" said, people are either helpful or they aren't. Lets just hope I get paired up with a helpful bloke who doesn't mind explaining the odd thing or two...

"Spanners", I'm in the north east mate.

Thanks for the replys anyway.

I was really fortunate after I did my college course I wrote to a lot of companies looking for unpaid work experiance and only one guy got back to me I worked unpaid for 6 months and learnt a lot but the main thing for me was it got me known around the local dealers HRP Dean & wood etc and also the companies he dealt with on the phone SRW Hawco etc but it aint easy I started up on my own afterwards and the guy was an absoulute star I could even phone him if I got stuck, I would write to the smaller 3/4 man companies as they are more likely to need help especially in the summer then follow it up with a phone call 3pm on a Friday is ideal as your more likely to get the main man "did you get my letter blah blah" if you have no luck try a visit on a monday at 9am you will probably get out on a job there and then with one of the engineers
    Remember persistance leads to success
    Devlin