Thread: critical charge

critical charge

what is meant by a critically charged system. i am working with a refrigeration contractor and he mentioned that he is designing a single stage R507a critical charged system.

I understand the single stage aspect of refrig. systems, i am just not clear on the critical charge portion of the statement.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: critical charge

With critical charge it means that there will be a specific weight of refrigerant to be charged.

The designer will decide on the amount; it often applies to capillary systems.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by aham View Post
    what is meant by a critically charged system. i am working with a refrigeration contractor and he mentioned that he is designing a single stage R507a critical charged system.

I understand the single stage aspect of refrig. systems, i am just not clear on the critical charge portion of the statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    With critical charge it means that there will be a specific weight of refrigerant to be charged.

The designer will decide on the amount; it often applies to capillary systems.
    And to add onto what Brian says.....

The charge weight is critical for the correct opperation of the system.
    If it is under or over charged by even a small amount it can have serious
    effects on the working system, in some cases if over charged, the system
    could be damaged and very expensive to repair. But undercharged can have
    equal consiquences but for completely different reasons.

Simply put, If it is over charged then you run the risk of liquid returning to the compressor.
    If it is under charged you run the risk of poor cooling effects and an overheating compressor.

Both serious but for different reasons..

taz

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

I suppose you could also refer to the maximum charge that the compressor can handle before being flooded being critical.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015