It has been awhile, since I needed to come back and beg for your great knowledge. Firstly, so that you are not concerned - I do not touch nor operate ammonia systems - my job is to evaluate the Process Safety Management programs. I have come across something - that is making my eye lids twitch....not good. But I do not know enough about the technical ammonia stuff to know to trust my instincts.

So couple of basic questions: All to do with level controls
1.) Should all oil pots/seperators have level controls? In this facility some do and most do not - so logic would tell me what is good for the goose is good for the.....

2.) same question for heat exchangers - I know that levels inside of the heat exchanger are rather important, and most systems I have looked at have a means for level of liquid in the exchanger - but again in this facility one has one and one does not.....

3.) Thermosiphon vessel - I would think that this should have a level control - because if it is starved for liquid - then your cooling capacity is shot - right????

I am seeing a trend here - so maybe the better question is should all vessels (regardless of use: heat exchanger, thermosiphon, oil pot, intercooler....) have a level control/cutoff?

I want to make sure that if these types of vessels should have level controls but don't- I want to ask enough follow-up questions about how they are ensuring the system is not overfed liquid (like to compressors) or underfed (like to heat exchangers) - and does the process hazard analysis also look at the correct "what if questions" and control methods.

I always appreciate your forum's insight. I know you probably are annoyed by the simplicity of the questions - but I will never know if I do not ask. I hope all had a wonderful EASTER. Thanks in advance for any responses.... Seaturtle....