3 phase soft starter

Good afternoon all,

I have two 3phase 15.75kW ducted units servicing my home. About 25 year old custom designed units and working absolutely perfectly. I was just thinking would it be any benefit to the system to install a 3 phase soft starter to each unit. Would that protect the compressor at start up or is it mainly just to protect from the higher startup current and costs?

I dont have any intention to replace the units, they are specifically designed and fitted under the home and would replace components as and if required, so am rather looking for a way of maintaining or promoting longer life within the components and any future ones.

Re: 3 phase soft starter

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Not so much trying to fix, but maintain or extend life expectancy and reduce startup currents and thus costs

Another idea is to install a Variable FrequencyDrive .The VFD can be programmed to start up the compressor at say 30 Hz for five minutes & then ramp up the speed to the full rated speed . This way you can limit start up current & yet save energy when it is not fully loaded . However , check for the monimum speed as recommended by compressor manufacturer & program its frequency for start up .............