Thread: NVQ level 3

NVQ level 3

Can anyone tell me of a college who is carrying out the level 3 course this september
    I live in the Bristol area and can't find a college within 100 miles ( or more )
    Any info would be greatly appreciated

Re: NVQ level 3

Hi Furryfrog

Normally, the college that you took your level 2 with would be able to assist you going onto level 3.

Have you moved districts?

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Hi Furryfrog

Normally, the college that you took your level 2 with would be able to assist you going onto level 3.

Have you moved districts?
    I believe Marc no longer teaches at Bath so they were a little short of senior lecturers..

I would of said bath that's were I did mine.
    Morris Berton was the NVQ guru a few years back not sure who is there now tho.

Bath do not do the level 3 anymore - no one to teach it!

Being an international forum of trade related people, what is NVQ3. Just interseted, not being picky.

I know its nowhere near local but Grimsby do level 3
    Tony

NVQ Level 3 is the second stage qualification here in the UK, Magoo.National Vocational Qualification is something the Government dreamed up to replace the traditional Apprenticeship, some years ago..........and it's all gone downhill since

i would go private http://www.taigatraining.com/ located in bath
    they know there stuff!!

Hi Frank
    thank you for explanation, same situation here in NZ, aprenticeships dumped by Govt replaced with an assessment program. Young guys come out with all there papers in 2 > 3 years. Hopeless situation.

could somebody tell me what is involved with level 3 as i have just done level 2 at northumberland college and have the chance to do level 3 but i want to know what is involved before signing the dotted line

Quote Originally Posted by mattym View Post
    could somebody tell me what is involved with level 3 as i have just done level 2 at northumberland college and have the chance to do level 3 but i want to know what is involved before signing the dotted line
    Level 3 is the next stage on from level 2, it concentrates on multi compressor, multi evaporator
    and complex controls, including 3 phase. These controls also included inverter technology. The maths gets harder
    also, you will be expected to work out mass flow rates, volume and power consumption using Ph
    charts. You will be expected to be able to callculate the loadings on a multi coldroom, mixed temp
    set up and work out heat flows and such like.

all the best

coolrunnings

thanks coolrunnings is it worth doing? because level 2 was almost a waste of time due to it was things i already knew but not in technical terms

I was delivering the Level 3 lectures at City of Bath College because Richard Bartlett and Neil Moore (Lvl 2 Lecturer) knew me and the college was short on lecturers. They asked me to deliver a few HND subjects too. Then they asked me to deliver 5 more subjects on HND and HNC level which I agreed to. But then a few days later I learned that my parking place I had had for 18 months was no longer available and that I would have to pay to park across the road. I asked for a little more money per day given that their pay already, if you take into account lecture preparation time, works out to be below the minimum wage, and doing so many more subjects meant less time to consult to earn real money so I took the parking issue very seriously and rejected their offer to stay on. Loved lecturing though - especially the technical debates and number crunching with the HND students.

I met a guy from Scotland who was going to sell me Level 3 diploma material but it turned out, after sitting at Gatwick airport for a day with him, that I would have to pay £60.000.00 for the package with a 4 year license - I would have to have about 600 students in those 4 years to make any money. Further - the material would be more like level 2 by the looks of what I was shown - I have dropped that idea.

So I am now designing 1 day lectures covering physics, fans and pumps, gas laws, PH charts, Psychrometrics etc to either sell to colleges (delivered by me) or sell to folks in the industry who are interested in understanding this stuff which can be delivered over the weekends.
    Only the dogmatist says he will never change his mind. We all know that some of our opinions are wrong but none of us know which they are for if we did then they just wouldn't be our opinions. - JS Mill.

Quote Originally Posted by mattym View Post
    thanks coolrunnings is it worth doing? because level 2 was almost a waste of time due to it was things i already knew but not in technical terms
    Hi Matty.

Level 3 is a good qual to achieve.

A level 3 is the only official qual that alows you to work unsupervised.

We all know people who are out there without quals and they are excelent
    at what they do.

Quals do not make the engineer but they give you the foundation to base everything
    you do on.

Your 21 and young, what do you want to do in 10 years time? I'm sure you do not know!!
    But if you have the oportunity get all the quals you can, then use the information to your
    benifit.

Nobody ever sufered from education, ignorance is a killer and once you have the knowledge
    use it or don't but at least you have the choice. If you don't get the quals you will never know.

So for me I'm in favor of the qual and I think it will only make you a better engineer.

Doing the job for doing the jobs sake is just getting by, if you want more you may have
    to put more effort in, in the begining.

If you are happy doing what you do, then fair play but I think you should look to long term.

Are you going to be on the tools all your carreer? You don't know, do you?

So if you have the oportunity get the qual and then it is yours forever, with a level 3 you
    could walk into a job in most countries where Fridge and AC are used.

All the best

coolrunnings

Totally agree with cool runnings. Get your qualifications early on. It can save a lot of guess work out in the field.

thanks for that i would like to be on the tools as the technology is always changing, going to have a meeting with my college tutor and between us make a decision i am all up for doing it .
    thanks for the help Matty

Hi,
    I Have decided to sit the level 3 City and guilds exam with PRTC Burnley and would like to find some mock exam papers, study notes etc to help me with the study.
    I have not attended college to carry out the NVQ but sitting the exam only.
    Any help and advice would be great I have as not found any information out there.

OK , I am old and live on the other side of the world, BUT peices of paper/ Quals do make good trades people. Hands on experience and practical work experience with study and books and exams does though, add to that TIME. It does not happen over night.
    If you have to have check papers/test questions, then your level of knowledge is questionable. The answers should fly off the end of your pencil/ or pen.
    Last edited by Magoo; 19-07-2011 at 02:06 AM. Reason: spelling & dictation

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
    OK , I am old and live on the other side of the world, BUT peices of paper/ Quals do make good trades people. Hands on experience and practical work experience with study and books and exams does though, add to that TIME. It does not happen over night.
    If you have to have check papers/test questions, then your level of knowledge is questionable. The answers should fly off the end of your pencil/ or pen.Last edited by Magoo; 19-07-2011 at 02:06 AM. Reason: spelling & dictation

I'm guessing you mean do not?