lacos Guest

Replace a york chiller' compressor

Hi, Could anyone please Help ! I am new on a York Air cooled chiller Model : YCAL0070SC and going to replace a bad compressor. Two questions are : 1- Do I need to manual pump down to keep refrigerant in condenser of chiller ? How I do this process, can a system allow to pump down OR just simple recovery all refrigerant out of system ?
    2- What can I do to by pass a low side system to add oil to a compressor when system is in operations ? Thank you in advance

Re: Replace a york chiller' compressor

Hi lacos
    You need to let us know what caused the compressor to fail. There are two totally different procedures - one for a burn out and one for a mechanical failure. Not all of us remember model numbers even though they are helpful so how many compressors and what model number? We can post a detailed procedure when you answer the above. Some techs will take short cuts which from experience leads to another premature compressor failure so I recommend you carry out the full procedure. It is also important to identify the cause of failure so as it can be rectified to ensure reliable operation for a long time.

lacos Guest

Re: Replace a york chiller' compressor

Hi, thank you for remind me.
    This chiller is 2 systems has total 6 compressors , system 2 got a bad one compressor #3. I used ohm meter to winding check all 3 phases of compressor is shorted together 0 ohm , it also shorted to Ground. It is a mechanical failure, i think. Refigerant level is Ok both hi and low side( Not contains a burning smell). This chiller working under very hot temp enviroment under level 2 below the ground in car garage. Before compressor went bad it was tripped OL contactor several times ( system 2 stop run with Message:" MP/HPCO fault " . So I tried to reset OL contactor and reset power , the compressor back run normal few times before it went bad