Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cable current carrying capacity

Flexible core cable
    1.5 mm
    2.5 mm

Over a 10 metre length what is the maximum amps the cable is capable of handling? for 1.5mm and 2.5 mm

Thx in advance

Abe

Re: Cable current carrying capacity

Flexible cables are usually rated for a 3kw max rating if you need to ask this question i suggest you get a qualified electrician to check it out for you

You can find cable ratings in the IEE onsite guide and the regulations
    The units you are installing should state in the literature what supply you require
    also if it is a new circuit on a domestic fuse board part P of the buliding regulations also needs to followed ie testing and certification

maddfridge

rbartlett Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Aiyub
    Flexible core cable
    1.5 mm
    2.5 mm

Over a 10 metre length what is the maximum amps the cable is capable of handling? for 1.5mm and 2.5 mm

Thx in advance

Abe

This is also dependant on the installation -surface mount, conduit etc etc- and the enviroment it's situated in

cheers

richard

Hi Abe

The current capacity of a cable is dependant upon a number of factors, ambient temperature, installation method, type of fuse used etc and there are a number of different factors that have to be applied to the calculations.

If at the end of the calculation the voltage drop does not exceed 4% then the cable is safe to use. (9.2v for single phase and 16v for 3 phase.

The calculation is - volt drop = (mv/A/m) x Ib x L/1000

where
    mv/A/m is the voltdrop (mv) per amp per metre taken from tables

Ib is the current drawn by the device

L is the length of the cable

To work out if your volt drop is less than 4% you must carry out the calculation. Using the figures from table 6E2 the (mv/A/m) volt drops are
    1.5mm2 = 29
    2.5mm2 = 18

From table 6E1of the On Site guide (Multicore Cables having PVC insulation) installation method 1 - clipped direct, the current carrying capacity for a 2 core cable single phase is 19.5A for 1.5 cable and 27A for 2.5 cable.

It isn't any good just saying that the regs say " 1.5mm can carry 19.5amps" so I'll use that - if you had a unit running at 16amps but 150m of 1.5mm2 cable then the result would be a volt drop of 69.6Amps or 29%. You can see now why you have to look at more than what you asked.

hi frank,
    It is not true what you have written. How a 1.5mm can hold more than 2.5mm?????

we use flexibles up to 12amps for 1.5mm and 16amps for 2.5mm.

Thats the running currant. Using more will get it hot and eventually melt the PVC coating.
    I would advice you to use a cable called XLPE, for the maximum run and at the end, make a connection box and continue with the flexible.

Chemi

Ill pass more info at this point
    Ive installed a 20 Kw evaporator
    It has 8 heaters

We have connected 4 heaters

I checked the amp draw for the 4 heaters

Pulling 20 amps total for 4 heaters

I want to connect the other 4 as well

What Im going to do is this

Feed 3 seperate lengths of 2.5mm flex cable

Connect each cable to one phase from 3 phase supply

So ill connect 3 heaters to one phase
    another 3 to second phase
    and remainder 2 heaters to third phase

the run from the isolator, control paNEL to the evaporator is around 5 metres

But, the armoured 3 phase run from MAIN DISTRIBUTION board to the control panel is around 20 metres

The current may allways be 16 AMPS for a 1,5 mm˛ and 20 A for a 2 mm˛- at least in Belgium - whatever length the cable may be and that was the initial question of Aiyub.
    But Frank has also a point that you will have a voltage drop,especially at high max AMPS. But the current remains the same value.
    Is there in the UK also a regulation for selecting fuses according to the distance of the length of the cable from the switch-cupboard to the high voltage transformer?
    Last edited by Peter_1; 17-09-2005 at 10:12 PM.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

hi frank,
    It is not true what you have written. How a 1.5mm can hold more than 2.5mm?????
    Where does he say that? did i miss something?
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

The rules on the selection and rating of cables in the UK (I stress UK!) are precise and in BS 7671.

Appendix 4 deals with cable types, and rating factors, once the cable is determined the protective device is determined form Appendix 3.

What happens in other countries is irrelevant.

They are far too complex to summarise in a few sentences.
    ________
    cheap easy vape vaporizer
    Last edited by Argus; 07-02-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Argus
    What happens in other countries is irrelevant.
    Sorry for asking, I was just curious.
    Last edited by Peter_1; 18-09-2005 at 11:33 AM.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_1

Peter

Dont apologise, this is a general question and all input is desirable.

the current carrying capacity for a 2 core cable single phase is 19.5A for 1.5 cable and 27A for 2.5 cable.
    Hi Chemi

I think you have mistaken the volt drop per metre with what I wrote.

Abe

If you are going to wire the heaters as described, I personally would not run 3 phase in flex cable unless it had some mechanical protection, such as SY or armoured. Why run 3 seperate cables? Can't you run singles in Copex?

How are you going to protect the circuits against overload/short circuit in the control panel?

Is the control panel protected by RCCD?

With a full load current for 3 heaters around 15A/phase + the fan load, the main armoured cable to the control panel should be a minimum of 2.5mm2. Are you running seperate neutrals to each set of heaters?
    Last edited by frank; 18-09-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Hi Peter

British Standard 7671 (BS7671) is a set of electrical standards published by the Institute of Electrical Engineers in the UK. The standards are not a legal requirement but a set of standards which will ensure a safe and proper electrical installation. Some contracts specify that the electrical element of the installation will conform to BS7671 and so at this point they become legally binding on the installer.

http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/

The regulations cover all aspects, from fuse selection, wire sizing, earthing and bonding, special installations such as caravans, swimming pools, farming (cows are very suscepable to electrical shock from earthing grids) etc. and mostly all new or refurbishment work currently carried out in the UK complies with the regs. There is no defence in UK law if your electrical installation work kills someone - you will be charged with MURDER.

We also have a voluntary inspection council that anyone involved with electrical work can join http://www.niceic.org.uk/ and membership of this organisation gives credibility to your business as the customer knows you are working to set standards.

Argus is right about trying to explain the regs in a short sentence - it's just not possible

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_1
    Peter:

I wasn?t intending any nastiness; it's a fact that the safety rules for electrical installations throughout the EU have not been harmonised - probably never will be, as the task is far too big. The rule in the UK are distinctly different from any other countries.

Your other point about the distance from the network supply transformer in a previous reply is interesting.
    The distance would certainly affect the supply impedance to the customer's terminals as would the quality of the network supply in terms of cable type, perturbation from other users etc. and would have a serious affect on the starting characteristics of motors.

There are indeed rules on this, not necessarily concerned with fuses or protective devices in the customer?s premises, though an excessive impedance will impact down the line. The rules are in fact EU law and contained in the EMC directive.

Abe:

Your idea of splitting the load across the 3 phases will give you an unbalanced load across the phases. One easier way out would be to fit an extra heater of equal loading and balance the lot.

________
    teen vids

If you are going to wire the heaters as described, I personally would not run 3 phase in flex cable unless it had some mechanical protection, such as SY or armoured. Why run 3 seperate cables? Can't you run singles in Copex?
    I guess three singles in copex makes sense

How are you going to protect the circuits against overload/short circuit in the control panel?
    Im providing circuit breakers for each phase

Is the control panel protected by RCCD?
    I was not intending to use RCCD, but perhaps I should be
    With a full load current for 3 heaters around 15A/phase + the fan load, the main armoured cable to the control panel should be a minimum of 2.5mm2. Are you running seperate neutrals to each set of heaters?
    The main armoured is 2.5mm and has been provided by a proffessional electrician up to isolator point.

I need to know........Can I provide one single Neutral for all 8 heaters, or shall I provide a seperate neutral for each bank.......ie: 2 heaters per phase

Thx
    Last edited by Abe; 18-09-2005 at 05:48 PM.

Abe:

Your idea of splitting the load across the 3 phases will give you an unbalanced load across the phases. One easier way out would be to fit an extra heater of equal loading and balance the lot.

I think instead of connecting all 8 heaters. I shall connect six..........2 per phase
    I think each heater is drawing 5 amps, therefore total draw will be 10 amps per phase

I need to know........Can I provide one single Neutral for all 8 heaters, or shall I provide a seperate neutral for each bank.......ie: 2 heaters per phase
    You can provide one single neutral wire for all heater elements but it must be sized to carry the whole load, i.e. 40A so it would need to be at least 10mm2

This is the information I have on the heaters

Straight Rod
    Rated 240 v
    1500 W
    Sheath Grade S231
    Flush Moulded ends
    3.5M tails

I bought 8 of them and fed them through the evaporator
    Paid Ł20.00 for each!!!

Each heater is about 3.5Metres long............yes
    Its a blerry big evaporator

If you are going to balance the load out across the phases then you could star point the neutral and do away with the neutral wire. The supply must be through a triple pole mcb though. Basically, you would be turning the heater into a 3 phase heater.

Frank

Are u able to provide a "drawing" how this is done

Thx

I'll have to e-mail it Abe due to the limit of the attachment size. Everytime I try to scan something in the file is huge!

Frank , a little handy tip to handle and control the size of the attachements . . .

It's a little bit weird but effective , after scaning it , import it to microsoft word (insert picture) than save the file as webpage (in the saving dialog box , under the file name that you have to put choose save as webpage) , go to the directory you saved the file to , and you will find your file and a folder having the same name (samename_files) , open this folder , you find 2 pictures , the original and another one with a very minimal size . . .

Hope this helps
    regards
    Engineering, sciences, math, physics and my brain will generate "not responding " soon

Hows this

Don't forget to apply good earth bonding
    Attached Images Attached Images

frank , did the tip of the msword thing worked ?
    Engineering, sciences, math, physics and my brain will generate "not responding " soon

Hi Botrous

I pdf'd the document then saved the pdf as a jpeg - turned out to be 53kb so it uploaded. I created the drawing in Publisher which always ends up a large file so I Pdf'd first.

I will try your idea though.
    Thanks

It's mostly effective for larger files

Frank

I printed it out and it came out great

Thx a million

Abe

Not connecting the neutral in a 3 phase star connection wiring when more the 3 heaters is dangerous.

We had this discussion already once in the past and I then made a simulation with Multisim what will happen with the voltage and current through the remaining heaters when one of teh heaters fail.

This is the Law of Kirchoff.

Have a look once at http://www.tld-nv.com/peter/3-F.doc
    It can take some seconds to download it.

To simulate a faulty heater, I inserted switches in serie wit the heaters so that I can switch off a heater.
    On each line, I connected a digital current meter in line and a voltage meter parallel with the line.

You will notice 9 heaters and a 3 phase 3 *380 voltage source on the left side

Conclusion: connect always the neutral in the starpoint with heaters when there are more than 3 heaters. The heater in the drain line is also a heater so there are almost always more then 3 heaters.
    Last edited by Peter_1; 18-09-2005 at 11:08 PM.

Not connecting the neutral in a 3 phase star connection wiring when more the 3 heaters is dangerous.
    Never found this to be a problem Peter. All 3 phase heaters that we purchase come as per my drawing. If you have good fusing then the imbalance through the MCB will trip the current supply in the case of a faulty heater circuit. Also, the RCCD should take care of any earth faults (heaters are notorius for shorting to ground)

Abe

You should also install some high temp protection in your control circuit - what would happen if your contactor welded on?

Peter and frank , hi guys . . .
    both of your point of vues seem acceptable to me . . . . . . the fuses have to play their role but relying on that isn't much a very good idea . . . .

Frank,
    Send this message to 5 manufactueres
    2 answered already

If we have 6 or 8 heaters - at least more than 3 - in an evaporator, connected in star on a 400 V supply, do we have to connect the neutral wire in the starpoint?
    Some of my colleagues say it isn't necessary at all, others - me included - say you certainly have to do it, otherwise you could have un unbalance whereby the remaining heaters will burn. (Law of Kirchoff)
    What is your professional advice in this?

Helpman (The Netherlands)

Dear mr. Christiaen,

your point of view is correct.
    the defrost will run, but, in unbalance or if one element is defekt, all others shall burn out.
    Our advice is to connect the neutral to the star-point.
    (by the way; burned elements don't be under warranty.
    For further questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Guntner Germany
    In response to your question, yes I think you have to connect the neutral on these heaters, as the current must have a return path to stop them burning out. I think that your colleagues are applying the same theory as with motors, as not all motors will require a neutral, but just phase and earth, the reason being that the load can be balanced as some of the input can be lost in the windings etc. Heaters are different, if you dont connect the neutral they will burn out.

As soon I receive the others, I will post these.

Hi Peter.

I must have missed something.
    Of course this is the only way to connect the heaters.

If there are are more then 3, there should be 6 of them.

I think manufacturers take it into consideration when they design the defrost heaters.

Chemi

Guys why don't you just connect it in delta and have some peace of mind . . .
    anyway i found this in a book that we have home since my father graduated (sure before my birth ) so take a look at it

Electric heaters basic installations :
    3 phase

3 phases , star coupling , equilibrated circuit.Fig1:
    The thermal receptor is formed of 3 equal resistors R coupled in star mode
    U is the ddp between 2 phases of the main power supply and V the ddp between both sides of any resistor of the 3 (ddp between the live and the neutral) , I the current .
    The capacity of the resistors will be :
    P(watts)= 3VI=UI√3=(U^2)/R

NB: it's advised to connect the neutral line

3 phases , delta coupling , equilibrates circuit.Fig2:
    I1 is the current in a resistor , all the other variables remains the same as above
    The capacity of the resistors will be :
    P(watts)=3UI1= UI√3=3(U^2)/R

Refference : Technologie des monteurs electriciens (Librairie DELAGRAVE) Chapter 4 pages 161 , 162

the pic was reproduced by me , so sorry for the bad resolution and layout

But in that case, which is not bad, you need special heaters for 380 volt.

Chemi

Yes but look to the formula of capacity , you will get a lot more of wattssss

Delta connection is only possible if the source is 3 x 220 V(like we still have here in many places in Belgium) or you need - like Chemi said - 30V heaters on a 3 x 380 V source.

They will heat more , that's for sure but they will burn very fast because you go beyond the specs of the manufacturer.

There is no problem connecting 7 or 8 heaters in an evaporator, as long as the neutral is connected in the starpoint.
    Some manufactueres are placing straith rods in the battery and only a single wire is running to the other side of the coil - the neutral wire for the starpoint.

Ah ok peter , here all the voltage is 220 V (between live and neutral ) and talking to my father , he said that they used to do it in delta for many years with no problems to heat the (fuel oil) in the power company tanks . . . and that they done sometime with the star coupling but they always connected a neutral to it

like we still have here in many places in Belgium
    Why , what's the voltage there 380 V for residential and commercial ???
    Because here they don't allow more than 240 V for incidents reason , they were using 110V till 8 years ago when they switched all the country to 220 V and there were a lot of voices saying no to that , but the power company did it , i guess for reducing the power drop

But in that case, which is not bad, you need special heaters for 380 volt.
    Not if you wired 2 heaters in series between the phases.
    and go get a cuppa

Hi Chillin , how are you mate ?
    Are you suggesting to reduce the voltage using the heater as a voltage divider ?

Regards

Hi botrous,
    Yes putting 2 heaters in series should half the voltage.
    and go get a cuppa

There is no problem connecting 7 or 8 heaters in an evaporator, as long as the neutral is connected in the starpoint.
    Peter

I am on site 2 moro. Going to connect them your way
    Can u provide a drawing what u mean starpoint for neutral

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Aiyub
    Peter

I am on site 2 moro. Going to connect them your way
    Can u provide a drawing what u mean starpoint for neutral

Thx
    This may have been mentioned before......

Before you do, please read BS 7671 (alias IEE 16th), Section 524, Reg 524-02-02.

It will help you to size the the neutral cable.

________
    teen videos

Hope things will go well Aiyub . . . . please provide us with the diagram you finally choose

Regards

Why not just pulling a simple 5 wire cable (RST , N and earth).
    You don't have to calculate this.
    The AMPs through the neutral wire can never become larger than the AMp's through the live wires.

The AMPs through the neutral wire can never become larger than the AMp's through the live wires
    100% True . . . . . But the AMPs in the live wire can be more than the AMP's in the neutral in case of current leak . . . . that's why differential circuit breaker are made for . . . .

regards

Quote Originally Posted by chillin out
    That's indeed an option but if one of the 2 fails, both will disfunction at once.
    I don't like this option and connect therefore the neutral.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Job of good quality is always to stand on the safe side . . . I guess that's what you are doing Peter . . . .

No doupt that the best way to do this job is to wire a neutral , but that doesn't mean that other method don't work , and other methods can have protection devices againt incidents caused by a heater fail

hi abe, when you get back could you give us a brief outline of how carried this job out please ?
    and why you chose that particular course of action...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast