dpbbb Guest

Is a rack system required for a supermarket?

I am building a 9600sq.ft. supermarket in NYC and are wondering if installing a rack system is actually necessary... I'm very pressed for time and will not be able to have a new rack manufactured for 8 weeks and can't find a used rack to suit project needs.

I'm are looking at just plumbing the cases directly to the condensers on the roof and perhaps installing the rack at a later time.

Can this be done? Does the gas need compressed? I know using a rack is more efficient, which is why I'm considering it to be installed later, but I just want to know if a supermarket refrigeration system can be designed without a rack... and if so, how?

also, any direction on information such as flow diagrams that will help me understand the vapor-compression refrigeration process in its entirety would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Is a rack system required for a supermarket?

Would you be doing the work or employing sombody to do it for you?

Can you get the case's?
    Can you get condensing units?

There is more to this than just plumbing in as you say........

You need a qualified person to size the duties of the case's and match that duty to
    packs (you call them racks) or condensing units. Flow rates, oil return and refrigerant
    type are just three things of a thousand you need to allow for before you pay for any
    equipment.

Who is going to do this work for you?

taz

Last edited by taz24; 17-03-2011 at 03:00 PM.

dpbbb Guest

what I am calling a rack is this: http://www.barrinc.com/usedSystems/r...onSystems.aspx ... see:Hussman Compressor Rack Systems.

we already have our cases sitting in the space and have a licensed refrigeration contractor lined up for the work and who could size the cases to the individual condensers.

I have about two dozen conversations started with rack suppliers, many of whom also sell condensers so I am assuming that I can get the condensers more easily than a used rack system that is ready to plug and play.

Thank you very much for the reply.

Surely its better for the shop to be a few weeks late opening but working ok with the proper equipment, than on time but never working as needed???
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

there is no shuch thing as a plug and play condenser, when you say condenser i presume you mean condensing units, which will also need installing, wiring and commissioned, this should have been thought out at the start of your project.