Caravell Double glass door display freezer

Hi everybody

I have a couple of problems with the above freezer in a shop. I understand tha Caravell have gone out of business. I have not yet been able to have the freezer identified.
    The identity plate shows - Mod: 700038200000 S/N: 2991003784 Made in Italy
    Prod: 01/25 Another Mod: 031 Rev 0 Refrigerant R507(I think from memory)
    It is a double glass door fronted upright freezer. It has two condensing units in the base and two evaporators mounted in the top of the cabinet. They are both wired to operate together and have an old style mechanical defrost timer.

The problems are; the evap fan motors wont run, and the right evap is iced up. I think the df heater is faulty, the left one works ok. The df timer seems to work and both evaps are freezing ok.

I cant trace the evap fan feeds because I can't access the rear of the machine and I suspect that there may be a junction box there. The fan feeds exit the rear of the box near the top.

If any one is familar with the machine and knows the wireing layout or indeed has a wireing diagram it would be most usefull. Also a source of a new defrost heater if known would be great.

Many thanks

Re: Caravell Double glass door display freezer

do the fan blades spin freely-usually the fans sieze on small systems.check the defrost timer is putting voltage to the fans.sometimes there is a stat which holds the fans off until the evap coil is cold.if u remove the defrost heater then tp fay of kirby can manufacture the same heater -0151 546 6232

Hi Install Monkey
    Thanks for the reply, yes the fans do spin freely, and the owner has seen them both running at odd times so I think they are ok. I did check the electrical feed through both switches of the defrost timer and when you spin the cam wheel to the normal cooling position there is a live feed out of both switches. The conclusion that I came to was that there must be some sort of junction box out of reach where their may be a problem. The shop owner is going to empty the freezer later so hopefully we can pull it out to get to the back. Thanks again and also for the info re heater manufacturer.

Charnwood Guest

Is there a switch that stops the fans when the door is open?

i think there is a junction box in the rear of the cabinet although under the cabinet there could also be a electrical panel with jack plugs going into it, i would try to check that first as i have had the same problem on a single door freezer and in the end the controller was faulty hope this helps

Hi there, thanks for the replies, Have been with the machine all afternoon, biggest problem was space to work. Managed to get to the back and yes there are two junction boxes there. Managed to trace the feed back to the defrost timer and Install Monkey was right the fan switch in the DF timer is faulty. Have also traced the lack of defrost to a faulty Klixon.