Determining What ***** is Used

Hello friends,
    What is the best method used to determine what type of ***** is in a system when it is not marked or labled for the type ***** used ?

Re: Determining What ***** is Used

check the tev head ,compressor data plate or check with the distributor/manufacturer.
    or buy a refrigerant analyser

you can narrow it a lot by how the pressure switches are set the main one still is tev id colour or numbers like ms says condensor id or gas analayser but they are expensive..... if you can run it the pressures will tell you a lot about whats in it and type of oil if listed

try switching the unit off and check the pressure and tempreture and use a pt chart

what type of system and application will narrow the choice

Thats how i have been checking when no data any where to be found was using pressure and temperaure and crossing against the pt chart. I do a lot of work for small sized grocery stores and 95% of units the ***** has been changed by someone and the original TEV valve is still being used I tell the owners that TEV needs to be changed for ***** thats currently used but they dont want to hear it cause thier ressponse is it has been working fine for all these years.
    Just wanted to know if their was something else ohter than buying exspensive equipment to determine ***** used.

Good Question and have been in that situation before. If the system is running fine, then go by low/high pressures to narrow the possibilities then expansion valve i.d. and type of system (low temp/medium temp/high temp.) Every chance of a ****tail mix though to throw you off. Origional oil type from manufacturers. Low on gas or out of gas, then out it comes to reclaim and change oil to suite new gas type. Little tricky if changing from 12/22/502 to say 134a/ 404a/507, or think there is a mixture of types. I still have the old flame type detector stashed away, so if suspecting *****, after gauges removed, sniff the service port and see the residual concentration in flame colour,if any, and any doubt will be revealed.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

reclaim some of the gas into a reclaim bottle and let the bottle sit at room temp for an hour,put gauges on the bottle and use comparitor 2 find out the gas it is