How do I charge 404a through the high side of an ice maker?

I am working on an ice machine and need to charge a few onces to see if my low pressure problem is from only too little refridgerant or if the problem is the txv starving the compressor.
    Do I need to recover the entire load or can I charge a few ounces of 404 in the liquid line? If so will a sight glass on my gauge manifold be enough to do this safely?

Re: Charging 404a liquid through low side?

404 should only be charged as liquid.
    It is not easy to charge into the liquid line because the pressure will be high.
    Charge into the suction line before the accumulator and you don't have one, charge slowly into the suction.

because 404 is a mixture of 3 refrigerants, if you loose over 30% of the total charge, recover the refrigerant, check for leaks with OFN, repair and charge with virgin refrigerant.

How do I charge 404a through the high side of an ice maker?

I have a low pressure problem with an ice maker. It seems that its either got a low charge or the txv is starving the compressor. I need to add a few ounces 404a to rule out it only being a low charge problem. It says to only charge liquid through the high side. How do I do this?

Re: How do I charge 404a through the high side of an ice maker?

R404A needs to leave the bottle as a liquid but you can restrict it as it passes through your gauges so by the time it reaches the low side connection its a vapour. This does require some degree of skill on the part of the tech carrying out the work.

Jon
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

The ice maker has two service ports at the top near the controls at the top. Its a Manitowoc Q model dispenser. High and Low. So even through it says to charge through the high side, should I still throttle the liquid through the manifold through the low side? I have a sight glass on the manifold.

If it has a data plate with the correct charge on it then you need to recover the refrigerant and weight it. I don't know too much about those manitowoc machine but i believe they are very fussy on having the correct charge, so adding a few ounces will likely upset the way it works.
    I don't see why you couldn't charge it through the suction, maybe their instructions are for charging the system from empty?
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

dsrefrigeration Guest

For info on manitowoc contact ice machines Ireland there have good support on these machines, you can get there details at www.icemachinesireland.com