Halogen Leak Detector WJL-6000....Any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Halogen-Leak-Detector-WJL-6000-/320515095710?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa0303c9e

Anyone able to comment on this item, whether it is any good. Spending £100-200 for a leak-detector seems a bit high, yet I guess it all comes back to getting what you pay for. However, £22.16 for the above item....if it works okay...would be nice.

Re: Halogen Leak Detector WJL-6000....Any good?

I bought one years ago, because i had to buy something for arctick*.
    It does work, take the cap off a cylinder and put the detector near the cylinder valve and it will go off. Without opening the valve I mean, it detects the residue under the cap with the valve shut.
    I bought mine to adhere to standards, ie having to own one. If you want to use one everyday and rely on it, you may be wasting more time than what it costs for a top spec one. They do work though.

Batteries have to be good though, slightly flat and it won't detect anything*

* I really don't have much time for electronic leak detectors, most places I work in are windy, and I really want to pin point the leak to a precise point, not a general area, so I rely on high pressure nitrogen and soapy bubbles, and hard to find leaks require high pressure nitrogen anyway.

deal extreme, an asian company with free shipping, have the same thing. Well I don't know if it's the same as mine, but the same product and I don't know if it's been made cheaper than it was 4 yrs ago.
    I buy torches, knives, computer gear, solder, heatshrink, thermal paste, spare multimeter lead and clips, tools (wire strippers, voltage pens), batteries, cables almost every month.
    Last month I bought some fake sunnies and their $30 thermometer (same cheap one wholesalers sell for $50+).
    Bought the $90 17B fluke multimeter and $25 infrared thermometer too.

found the leak dectector:
    SKU 19973
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/electro...er-pouch-19973
    US$25 free shipping
    Last edited by paul_h; 24-02-2011 at 04:32 PM.