How are you Kiwis doing with the earthquake?

Looks like a big one, everyone OK?

Re: How are you Kiwis doing with the earthquake?

Mike I was borne and breed in NZ and unfortunately it's not a big one - as far as history and time goes. We are expecting bigger. From what we have seen on TV today there could be hundreds that ... well are not OK. Kiwis are strong and will be more prepared for the next one. I would like to say more but the word just can't come out right now.

Mad fridgie is from Christchurch, works in a company called Enersol, can someone in NZ try to check on him that he is ok?

Quote Originally Posted by chemi-cool View Post
    Mad fridgie is from Christchurch, works in a company called Enersol, can someone in NZ try to check on him that he is ok?
    Hi Chemi, Mad posted here not long after event happened. Over in chit-chat, under "what we did today" by monkey Spanners.. Mike.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Thanks Mike, I was just about to write that too.

His comment I thought was very bright considering...

Re: What did we do today?

Rolled about the workshop, ducked and dived falling parts, but I am lucky, my thoughts to the families who lost loved ones.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Update;
    Thanks to all for their concern (I/we appericiate it)
    The damage and death are somewhat larger than what seemed to be reported. You may be watching TV you can see all the work done by the Rescue teams "well done", this news only covers the CBD, apparently there is also massive damage to large sections of the residential sector. No water, power, sewerage. Where I work was not overally effected by the quake, so originally did not seem to bad, hence my fairly relaxed comment. Communications have been effected, so if you do know some one in Christchurch then do not atomatically worry that it is all doom and glum, We are getting support from all corners of the world thanks from all in NZ,

Seventy odd fatalities so far, and climbing.

I'm glad your still here Magoo. I was in the red cross emergency team in Wgtn in the late 90s. We wont know for a week or two of the fatalities as rescue will only focus on injured people first. I use the Antipodean Astro Calendar which warns of quakes and extreme weather during supermoons - this month is a supermoon, so was last september, but next month on the 19th there is an extreme supermoon. I think I posted something about it earlier. I knew about it before it hit the news as one of my home pages is http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/ . I would not like to be in Wgtn in the same event as in the late 90s there were a few buildings I worked in which should have been pulled down like - it used to be called Plimmers Towers where a tenant in the basement removed 1 of 4 main pillars for more floor space resulting in every floor cracking right through the floor in two sides of the building (I could see through to the floor below on L12 or 15 of 33 levels during a refit). The pillar was replaced but the damage is still there covered with a new floor surface on each refit. Shocking I know but the big boys want to make their money.
    Peace to all.

mad fridgie,
    glad you're ok....so not nice for that lovely city of Christchurch to cop an earthquake again,,,,,better let us all know if you need any aussie fridgies there to help,,,we're just across the ditch you know.All the best.
    Lawrie
    Remember we are here for a good time, not a long time.
    Trust me i'm a Fridgy.

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post
    mad fridgie,
    glad you're ok....so not nice for that lovely city of Christchurch to cop an earthquake again,,,,,better let us all know if you need any aussie fridgies there to help,,,we're just across the ditch you know.All the best.
    Lawrie
    Can you install splits badly, know nothing about refrigeration and work for shyte money, then lots of work for you. I am coming over the ditch. I hope you got a spare bed, cheers for your thoughts "mad" (Terry)

Had a call from skope industries in Christchurch this morning, to do with a warranty job here in Qld. Had called them on a 1800 number and was on hold forever (thinking i was calling Sydney office). Turns out to be NZ and their office was not in good shape. They had to relocate, anyways, as i haven't been following the news lately, the service department rep tells me the city is still unstable and buildings will have to be torn down before they fall. I'm surprised anyone can work in these conditions. Tesla, i hope your theory proves to be wrong, Re: moon phase... Mike.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.