View Poll Results: What Gets Your Goat?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Poor Lane Control

16 40.00%
  • Poor Use of Indicators, if at all

17 42.50%
  • CLOD Member, (centre lane owner drivers club)

25 62.50%
  • Poorly Adjusted Lights, Free Dazzle Factor

7 17.50%
  • Driving with Parking Lights in Poor Visibility

13 32.50%
  • Tailgating

17 42.50%
  • Using up your safe space in front

16 40.00%
  • Speed Control, too fast or too slow

12 30.00%
  • Not Acknowledging a Kindness by You

15 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

OK Drivers, What Gets Your Goat?

Now I'm not a perfect driver although I will admit to being better than most of those around me.

But seriously though, what makes you want to give that driver a slap?

It's multiple choice.

Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Re: OK Drivers, What Gets Your Goat?

What gets me is people overtaking and then slowing down, or in a mile or so wanting to turn off the main road...

Jon

Brian. How many times can i click these boxes? I'm not based in any city but country drivers are just as bad. Another one for your poll is HAT drivers, or Sunday drivers. Anyone would think they got their licence out of a Corn Flakes box. Then there are the vehicles that don't have the optional extras, namely indicators. Combine hat drivers,(they pull out infront of you and fail to stay in lane and go soooo slow), with the non extras package, and honestly........ if looks could kill!! Going off to tick the boxes now. Mike.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

The big one that gets up my nose is indicating as changing lanes and not before

the one i like is when you pull in front of an empty semi without cutting them up.they hit the horn and put their bull bar at your tailgate to let you now that you pulled in to close,i presume.then you see em cruising along at some other time sitting on someones clacker with a full load in normal traffic driving ah "normally"
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

Brian I used to well - be one of those drivers and I thought I was a good driver. Now with many years driving in Sydney I just expect that poor drivers are a reality and in the back of my mind I think that could be my Mum or me when I get old. I did a defensive driving course a few years ago which helped my (psychic) abilities to predict what another driver will do.
    There's always one extra and it's pedestrians using a mobile phone or ipod and just walk out in front me but I keep my cool because there's no need to escalate to a road rage situation. I remember as a teenager a taxi thought I'd pulled out on him - he threatened to kill me with his big crow bar (I am ever so careful since).

Berks in Mercs AND Dreamers in Beamers (BMW'S)
    Allways on mobiles phones whilst driving it seems as though the more expensive car they have the the less need they feel to have a hands free kit.
    Old timers in 3litre jags driving at 40 in a 60mph zone
    people thinking a roundabout means stop and apply the handbrake or deciding to release the handbrake and then start to pull away when a light turns to from amber to red
    not pulling alongside the white lines when turning right stopping the traffic from passing
    blocking a box junction
    the list goes on

My big hate is those asreholes who think they`re to important to stay in lane on a motorway so they pull into the inside lane, middle lane back again into the inside lane then straight to the outside lane, cutting everyone up in the process. I know I shouldn`t do it but many a time I`ve looked in my nearside mirror to see som tw*t speeding up to undertake me. A warm glow comes over me when I see him brake hard to avoid the artic in front as I accelerate to shut the door on him.

people who sit in the middle lane

I guess Mikeref has driven in Tenerife!
    Given the price of cars here, you would think they'd all come fully loaded. I'm sure that indicators don't appear on the standard, or optional extras list. Even driving schools don't seem to teach their use!
    On the plus side - you learn to think and react very quickly. Oh, and in the most they're reasonably (ish) courteous.
    Could go on...........
    en boca cerrada no entran moscas

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Well, I think that I've struck a nerve here.

Sorry Mikeref, there are only 10 options available for a poll so I had to just pick a few.

As for the other replies - yes I agree entirely.

I did know of a guy many years ago who leant into a drivers side window one day and ripped out the indicator stalk from the steering wheel. He told the driver that as they didn't use there was no point in having it the car. I wish I'd thought of that.

Remember guys, of you're driving for an employer - it's only work, don't endanger yourself. If you're driving for yourself - same rules and just think of the paperwork if it goes wrong.
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 15-02-2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: missed a word out, doh!
    Retired March 2015

Yeh thanks Brian. I could only vote once, no matter. Another to consider are the variable speed drivers, a straight section of road and they sit on 95 BUT a slight bend up ahead with clear view causes a speed decrease to 80km/h. Oh, i'm hot now, imagine an open highway, no other vehicles in sight except the twit in front going slow, so i pass but this rattles the lone ranger out of his daydream and he then sits on my bumper!! Must say, semi or truck drivers are very helpful here, they all have uhf radio and will talk to anyone. Comes in handy when overtaking a 50 metre rig on outback roads.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

middle lane drivers ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Paul

"KEEP IT COOL"

I'll keep it simple," TAXI DRIVERS" .I hate them with a passion ,diving in and out of bus-lanes when it suits them , stopping in lane to chat with their mates at the rank ,illegal u-turns anytime anywhere .And ripping me off on the way home from the boozer!!!!
    Oh and all of the above
    Cheers
    Stu
    Tool's ? check ! Condom's ? check !
    If you can't fix it , f*ck it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by superswill View Post
    middle lane drivers ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My Mother In Law does that. Her excuse is that you can do the same speed in each lane (i.e up to 70mph) therefore you can position yourself in any lane. We've all argued to point about it but the old girls mind is made up. However annoying it gets, I take solace in that there will one day (hopefully soon ;->) be an inheritance to spend.

As far as getting annoyed the only thing which gets close is when my wife parks the car in such a way you have to, in the words of Bananrama, Walk like an Egyptian to get between it and the wall of the front garden.

Andy.
    Health and safety first..........unless I'm in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayters View Post
    My Mother In Law does that. Her excuse is that you can do the same speed in each lane (i.e up to 70mph) therefore you can position yourself in any lane. We've all argued to point about it but the old girls mind is made up. <snip>

Andy.
    Tell her to read her Highway Code regarding driving on the left. It's very simple and very clear.

Don't spend the money just yet, it'll come back and bite you.
    Retired March 2015

Tayters.
    ask the old girl to set up a quick access funeral fund, because the family will need it sooner tha later, then she may drop into a sensible groove while driving. Shock tactics always work with old farts like me. Hell I own the road and everyone else is getting in my way slowing me down. [ a quote from my father, deceased. ]

Never understood people who get mad on the roads.
    Driving is fun, never drive fast, always good music Cd's in the van, enjoy the view,
    Used to have a Porche 911 when I was in my early 30's, drove up to 250 kph in the empty desert roads but lost the fun driving too fast. after 40 years on the roads, changing many cars and vans I can realize one thing, the way you drive and behave on the roads is your own choice.
    And so is, unleashing your goat................

Quote Originally Posted by chemi-cool View Post
    Driving is fun, never drive fast, always good music Cd's in the van, enjoy the view,
    Used to have a Porche 911 when I was in my early 30's, drove up to 250 kph in the empty desert roads but lost the fun driving too fast. after 40 years on the roads, changing many cars and vans I can realize one thing, the way you drive and behave on the roads is your own choice.
    perfect .

nevgee is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Quote Originally Posted by glenn1340 View Post
    My big hate is those asreholes who think they`re to important to stay in lane on a motorway so they pull into the inside lane, middle lane back again into the inside lane then straight to the outside lane, cutting everyone up in the process. I know I shouldn`t do it but many a time I`ve looked in my nearside mirror to see som tw*t speeding up to undertake me. A warm glow comes over me when I see him brake hard to avoid the artic in front as I accelerate to shut the door on him.
    I thought the rule in the UK is to keep left on any carriageway. People who stay in lanes 2, 3, 4 etc are lane hoggers and technically wrong. The Police will pull them over for this.
    I also understand it's an offence to accelerate when someone is overtaking you, which ever lane they're using. So closing the door is not clever by any standard. You might find the reason for you being undertaken is because you might be hogging the middle lane? .... But

If you're refering to those stupid wizz kids that just cut every one else up... then I have to agree with you there .
    Reality is an elusion created by alcohol deficiency. Quaff and enjoy. [Yorkshire, UK]

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    Remember guys, of you're driving for an employer - it's only work, don't endanger yourself. If you're driving for yourself - same rules and just think of the paperwork if it goes wrong.
    Very true .... and of course who ever you're working for you're getting paid for being there ...so what's the rush, stay cool and calm enjoy the drive and arrive stress free.

We have a habbit now of not using finger gestures to the idiots but raising hands (knees tucked under wheel for added control ) and clapping and laughing in appreciation of their antics ..... amasing how peeps react to that.
    Reality is an elusion created by alcohol deficiency. Quaff and enjoy. [Yorkshire, UK]

Chemi-cool, maybe thats a good thing (going with the flow), to keep the blood pressure down, however some of us don't have the time to smell the roses or wait at an intersection for oncomming vehicle to go through but at the last second it turns without indicator and i loose my chance to move on as traffic everwhere now. Oh, bless that drivers mistake. DON'T THINK SO, hand out the window with the one finger salute.

Quote Originally Posted by chemi-cool View Post

I wanted to add to your reputation for that post but aparently I have to spread my luuuuuve around a bit..

Good post though and so true.

An old engineer I used to work with always quoted the old Roman saying..

"While your marching your not fighting"

I like driving (well most of the time . )

taz

What's wrong with middle lane drivers?
    I don't like slow drivers on the left (I get stuck behind them as I need the left lane for the turn off or exit), I don't like slow drivers on the right (that's the passing lane I want to use). Middle lane is the best place for slow drivers IMHO.
    Pet hate beside the obvious ones, is sympathetic brakers. IE, you going fast down the right lane, a fair bit of congestion happens to slow down the left lane (merging lanes, slow driver etc), all of a sudden someone on the right lane brakes to a standstill for no reason, so both lanes stop for an issue that is in a different lane.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_h View Post
    Pet hate beside the obvious ones, is sympathetic brakers. IE, you going fast down the right lane, a fair bit of congestion happens to slow down the left lane (merging lanes, slow driver etc), all of a sudden someone on the right lane brakes to a standstill for no reason, so both lanes stop for an issue that is in a different lane.
    Thats sort of like rubber neckers....

You know the sort, more intrested in what's happening in the other road so slow down to have a look.

Dos'nt matter that there are people behind them..

taz

I hate it when usin the motorway during peak times, rush hour ( slow time) There always seems to be a tendancy for the whole population of the road to migrate to the right. That is when everyone moves into lane 3 (overtaking) to not overtake, while the old middle lane hoggers dutifully maintain their self asserted right to hog the middle lane "can't move to left it's for lorries and waggons and TURNING Left"
    Then there will be the odd lone truck in lane 1.
    From a distance behind you can see the congestion but the road is only 50% occupied. LAne 1 moving steadily at 56mph, lane 2 road hogging speed as usual 56.009 mph "can't pass the waggon cos I want to close the door on some fool" and lane 3 moving at 60mph. Doh ! it's so frustrating.

If they all moved over to the left ... and kept their present speed the overtaking lane would become free for guess what ...overtaking at a probable speed in excess of 70mph!

Alas this will never happen, so I just cruise along lane 1 at 70 mph and undertake the lane hoggers, only to annoy them. It's quite fun really if you judge the speed of the traffic well you can actual make good headway.

Here in the less populated areas, there is just one lane each way. (sometimes lucky to have that). People drive around in 4wd's like Toyota and Nissan with chunky tyres, but very few ever go off road with them. I remember once while following a road train on an impossible to overtake stretch of highway, an oncomming 4wd decided that sharing that piece of road with the rig wasn't going to happen so without slowing down, just went bush and made his own track avoiding ant hills and small trees untill he could jump back on the highway.

My pet hate is ignorant bus drivers who think "please let buses pull out" includes when they start indicating and pulling out whilst you are alongside overtaking.

Like the prick, and yes I did say prick who did it to me in the centre of Birmingham a few months ago. The front of my van was a few feet ahead of the front of the bus when he ran his mirror down the side of the van.

I still have the marks on the van to prove it. I stopped immediately blocking the entire traffic, surveyed the damage, decided it wasn't worth the time and hassle. Told him he was a self pleasuring individual and carried on my way.

To be honest I think the ignorant sh*t thought I was going to twat him. Thank you West Midlands Transport or whatever you call yourselves now. If you ever wonder why a guy in a big van never lets you pull out any more here is the reason.

And breathe (-:
    Last edited by djbe; 18-02-2011 at 12:23 AM.

And here is a quick question for the mods. You will notice in my first sentence it says " and pulling pulling out".

If I go to edit it only shows one "pulling" in my sentence as I typed it. If I remove the one "pulling" the edited post shows no "pulling"

Put it back in and it shows "pulling pulling"

????????????????

In fact can we add ****head bus drivers to the poll?

As you can probably tell I was a little upset.

You can always start your own poll.

I think that you were quite restrained in you response to that bus driver. The man's a fool because he can easily lose his PCV licence over bad driving like that.

I was taught a simple countdown when getting a bus away from a stop into traffic.
    Indicate, one car OK, two cars, pushing it, third car - sorry mate, too late I'm moving out.
    +
    Going slightly off-topic I remember photographing a driver who had blocked me into a bus stop when he obviously thought that he had every right to do so, well he had to cross the road on foot and buy a newspaper, as you do.

Anyway, when he saw me with the camera and notebook he went off on one, ranting and shouting at me and dredging the gutter for some choice language. But what cracked me up was that he then started punching the bus with his fist. Boy I felt every punch.
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 18-02-2011 at 12:40 AM.
    Retired March 2015

Car drivers who drive at 50 on the motorway and then match the speed of an overtaking truck as it pulls out to pass....

Middle aged motorcyclists on their Havabashi Knackercrackie 10 000 riding at 60 on a two lane road....For petes sake, you have a bike that's good for 180mph so that you can relive your youth, not to force the rest of the traffic to die of old age whilst waiting for a gap in the traffic so that we can get past you...

And before anyone point out the obvious, yes I know that the max speed for a two lane road is 60 and for my van is 50 but I have more fun in my van then these old farts ever will on their sports bikes
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    You can always start your own poll.

I think that you were quite restrained in you response to that bus driver. The man's a fool because he can easily lose his PCV licence over bad driving like that.

Definately more restrained than I would have been when I was younger.

With hindsight I should have taken a few photo's, and details and sent them off to his employer.

People who park so close behind that you can't get your doors open.

I had a XK8 parked so close once that i couldn't even get between the bumpers, had another numpty parked tight at the front too and seeing as someone had kindly run into the back of the van previously and damaged the bumper i decided as it was home time to just push the jag out the way Bollox to em

A friend of mine was a building company forman and he told me about the time someone parked right tight to the back of their transit tipper, builders just opened the tail board and unloaded all the stuff over the bonnet of the car......
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    People who park so close behind that you can't get your doors open.

I had a XK8 parked so close once that i couldn't even get between the bumpers, had another numpty parked tight at the front too and seeing as someone had kindly run into the back of the van previously and damaged the bumper i decided as it was home time to just push the jag out the way Bollox to em
    Like your style

Quote Originally Posted by alikelmencila View Post
    I'm totally fool so please delete this topic.
    We could do that alikelmencila, but its unlikely to make and difference to your foolishness, however it manifests.....
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 20-02-2011 at 07:43 PM.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Part of the problem is the mixture of cultures the world is seeing.

Over in the UK we 'tend' or at least tended to keep to the left. In Asia they 'tend' to keep to their chosen lane. Over here if some one comes up behind and flashes it means "get over I'm coming through". In Asia it tends to mean "stay in that lane, I am about to over take you".

Thus the same signal means totally different things thus anger and confusion reigns..
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 20-02-2011 at 07:44 PM.

...the old git next door to me who deliberatley parks his car in the road even though he could put it on his drive, thereby making me park around the corner. So what if we`ve got three vans and two cars here doesn`t the old **** know that I DO own the road :-)

People who park their tiny nissan micras etc. in such a way, that a gap you can normally park an iveco daily and a ford cmax together in, you cannot fit either.
    Another thing, why can the police, royal mail, bt etc. can abandon their vehicles wherever they feel like, ignoring normal rules and common sense. When I leave my van, it may not always legally parked, but I never leave it in a dangerous place or cause inconvenience to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy AC View Post
    Another thing, why can the police, royal mail, bt etc. can abandon their vehicles wherever they feel like, ignoring normal rules and common sense. When I leave my van, it may not always legally parked, but I never leave it in a dangerous place or cause inconvenience to others.
    Because when you do you do not have the same authority to say "Shove it" that they do. Or it could be that you are too polite.
    Retired March 2015

Been a while since someone bumped this thread. Yesterday, on my way to the outback, i passed through a small town and two events took place. One was this J walker that didn't look for oncoming traffic and walked out in front of me. I hit the anchors and he didn,t even look to see how close i was to ending his life!! This caused vehicle behind me to nearly customise my ute's rear end. Second, a vehicle pulls out from island parking without checking, AGAIN, i have to hit the chocks hard. What was this.. Idiots day out?? For the record, my ute is orange colour and sticks out well in a crowd + i had headlights on !!

Hi,
    Living down in devon, caravans, tourists really do my head in, weekend drivers when i'm on call trying to get somewhere, and Mr and Mrs old decide to drive at 20mph even though it 06-30 on a sunday morning, school kids cause so many problems, with mummy and daddy driving billy and johny 5 minutes to school in the range rover.

Foggy weather when drivers don't put there lights on and you can't see them, normally the people who only drive at weekends, in fact it'd be easier to ask what doesn't p*** me off

Think thats covered it all

j.j.
    Remember: 'ITS NOT HOW GOOD YOU ARE ITS HOW BAD YOU WANT IT'

Anyone who uses the roads & pays no tax or insurance.

So that's cyclists (who all seem to think that the rules of the road don't apply to them anyway) & horse riders. A few years ago I had a spooked nag & rider who reversed it's arse up to the front of my car & took a dump on my bonnet!! it also dented the front of the car with it's hoof. Try explaining that to the insurance company. Of course the horse & rider had no insurance either.

Motor bike riders - especially in 50mph average speed camera checked road works. Because they have no front number plate they seem to think that they can tank along at 70-80 weaving in & out of traffic with inpunity.

Brewery deilvery lorries. A couple a years ago one took off my rear bumper when it pulled over from the outside lane to the left hand lane. Driver said he didn't see me. I pointed pout that the damage to my car proves I was in front of him when he hit me. He shrugged his shoulders, gave me his companies card & muttered something about accidents come in 3's & this was his 3rd in two weeks.

Grrrrrr.
    If in doubt read the instructions. If still in doubt follow them.

It would have to be a truck.
    I wouldn't try to procure goats in anything else.
    Can you imagine goats in the back of a van or wagon? No way, after all they'll try eat anything! Plus they may smell...

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrocer View Post
    A few years ago I had a spooked nag & rider who reversed it's arse up to the front of my car & took a dump on my bonnet!!
    Bet you weren't amulesed.

Groan,
    Andy.
    Health and safety first..........unless I'm in a hurry.

Here i was, cruising along the highway, when i caught up to a fully loaded cattle truck. In the time i had to sit behind it, one or more of the animals decided to take a leak which washed out the (being nice now).. mud! Oh the joys of country life.. And, reading Paul h's post above, while at a fuel station watching the $ tick over much faster than the litres, the passenger car in the other lane had this ugly dog sitting in the back seat..... but it was actually a goat! Wonder how much of interior would be left intact when driver arrived home.

Can't be as bad as the drunk I saw last night, tried to cross the road and decided to run across without looking.......... Think he did a double somersault across the car about 10 in front of me, and when I passed the scene he did not look too good, not even moaning - called Metro and asked them to send an ambulance to take him up the road to A&E, or more likely the room behind there....

As to the livestock in cars, does having a cow in a sedan count? Then there was the guy stopped with 5 stolen goats in a stolen car, and the guy I saw taking cabbages to market in a Peugot 504, loaded up inside, in the back, on top in an insanely high net and with a couple on his lap.

Not as bad as coming around the side of a mountain pass, rock one side, 100m of near vertical the other side and only thing between you and the drop being a white line and a tiny bit of dirt. Come round the corner into a herd of cattle, who were not initially interested in moving, even after getting driven into.Persuaded them to move off the road and continued down the mountain. Reversed for the hippo though, seen what they can do to anything that annoys them.........

Nice one SeanB, can't imagine what i would have done when confronted with a hippo!! I have had many encounters in the isolation of our outback roads, that just go on forever, however these don't usually involve other drivers so they are not relevant to this thread.

Cows are bad, but not as common as drunk pedestrians. Especially on a freeway at night, when they tend to run like jackrabbits.