compressor discharge temps

Any advice on R22,R407c and R410A expected compressor discharge temps?

Re: compressor discharge temps

Welder,
    It all depends on the pressure ratio, discharge/suction pressure and superheat temperature...and also of the compressor type and brand.

it could be between 50ºC...120ºC but also it could be out of this range...like I said all depend of the operating conditions.
    To make progress is never good enough, I want to do better and better and better

If I not mistaken, besides compressor type it also depends on type of oil...
    In some places will have to think ...

yes, also agree. However I think that have a 2nd order importance.
    To make progress is never good enough, I want to do better and better and better

Hi Welder
    Not to sure about the other refrigerants but I was taught (when I was younger) for R22, 12 or 502 the rule of thumb was around 21°C above ambient for the condensing temp. I'm sure some members could give an example range for the others for general ambient conditions how ever extreme ambients could differ a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Hi Welder
    Not to sure about the other refrigerants but I was taught (when I was younger) for R22, 12 or 502 the rule of thumb was around 21°C above ambient for the condensing temp. I'm sure some members could give an example range for the others for general ambient conditions how ever extreme ambients could differ a little.
    Tesla,

You really can a rule of thumb only because for the same condensing temperature if the suction pressure is equivalent at 0ºC it will be xxºC of discharge temperature; now if it is -30ºC it will be a bigger bigger discharge temperature.

You really can call a rule of thumb only...

Sandro Baptista I only wrote a general rule of thumb for gerneral conditions and it can be applied to varying evap temps. As these three gases have their temp ranges - low, med and high. With your age you should know this as a general rule of thumb. Welder is asking what the expected cond temps are and I have written what I would expect for one of the gases. Can we not give what might be expected for the other gases for general conditions even if there may be exceptions?

Tesla, he asked about discharge temperature and it varies a lot with the operating conditions that's why we should indicate a range of temperatures. If he want more accurancy then he should gives precise parameters.

Even if he asked about expected condensing temperature that's depends on the weather conditions and condenser selection criteria. In conclusion that could vary a lot.

ok Suction 5 deg ambient 12 deg?

12ºC ambient...what's the condensing temperature you want to use? it depends on the DT.

27? condensing

-5ºC(saturated temperature)/+27ºC(saturated temperature) measure at inlet and outlet of the compressor.

Considered type of compressor: piston

R22 » +55ºC
    R407C » +60ºC
    R410A » +50ºC

Hope this helps
    Note: Approximate temperatures. suction superheated temperature considered = 6K

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Sandro Baptista I only wrote a general rule of thumb for gerneral conditions and it can be applied to varying evap temps. As these three gases have their temp ranges - low, med and high. With your age you should know this as a general rule of thumb. Welder is asking what the expected cond temps are and I have written what I would expect for one of the gases. Can we not give what might be expected for the other gases for general conditions even if there may be exceptions?
    General rule of thumb would be 20-30K and not 21K exactly.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

With those refrigerants listed I would assume that you are looking mainly at AC equipment.

If you are worried about the maximum temperatures then compare notes with the manufacturers fault finding instructions.

When you get to the page with F??, High Discharge Temperature, it will give you the tripping temperature.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Ok thanks gents.I have checked the unit suction is 0 discharge is 50 C ,ambient is 8.6 c.R22 Does that sound about right?

It seems okay comparing with the preview discharge temperatures indicated and having in account that the pressure ration is a little less.