Thread: Compressor help

scraggy Guest

Compressor help

Hi
    I hope you dont mind me comming here for advice.
    I know several people that have used refridgeration compressors for building compressors for airbrushing, I wonder if you could give me some advise.
    The size of the compressors is in cc's but is that cc's per minute ?
    I have tried to find a secondhand compressor but that seems to be an impossible task to find one, and I am also a little concerned about the gas that has been through it and whether any residues could be pumped into the air (perhaps I am being overcautious).
    I would greatly appreciate any advise.
    Regards
    Keith

rbartlett Guest

Re: Compressor help

cc is the swept volume of the compressor. this has been mentioned before regarding air brushing but the oil carry over will do two things

1 ruin your paint
    2 deprive the compressor of oils and seize it

basically go to machine mart and buy a proper air compressor set and do it properly

cheers

richard
    Last edited by rbartlett; 25-08-2005 at 08:03 PM.

Hi keith . . .you are welcomed here as anyone else . . . as richard said , this will ruine your paint and the compressor as well , but if you have a good knowldge in mechanical technology , you should be able to adapt the compressor to be used for airbrushers ...
    First you should consider the oil return to the compressor , the air filtering before it enters the compressor , the pressure needed , the air filtering before beeing used (to eliminate oil traces and other contaminants). . .
    so it may cost you more than a new aircompressor , so as price/quality ratio , i should advise you as richard did , because the price/quality ratio , if the system that you make works perfectly will not be as good as the new one .

Maybe the other people you are talking about made it , but see if they did respect the rules of mechanical technology as good lubrication , filtration and else . . . if you don't want to respect the rules it may not coast you neither lot of money neither of time neither of using the grey thing in your head
    Engineering, sciences, math, physics and my brain will generate "not responding " soon

I have a friend who was once into air brushing. He used to use a large lorry tyre inner-tube as the compressed air source and used to inflate the inner-tube at the local garage (before they used to charge) and latterly with a small car compressor connected to the car battery. He's even been known to inflate it with a foot pump