Thread: recycle

recycle

Hi, I want to use my appion G5 twin recovery unit to recycle my r22. What do I need to do this. I have two recovery tanks. Thanks.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: recycle

Oil separator, good filter/driers would be a good start.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Thanks Brian.

We had a Van Steenburgh machine which basically had just what Brian said for cleaning up recovered refrigerant, it would circulate the refrigerant for some time to give the drier a chance to clean it up and to remove the oil.
    It also had a purge function to remove any non condesables which would be worth checking for in any recovered refrigerant you intend using again.

never been a fan of re-using gas unless its out of the same system it came out off,you can transport trouble to another customer.i think its better to surrender it and buy it back when it has been cleaned and tested propely.

I use quit a lot of recovered refrigerants, always mix it with new one.
    I have a friend that breaks down factories, he cut to small pieces everything made of metal including AC units and chillers, If I have the time, i come with 60kg bottles and recover all the refrigerant from the units just before they turn into small bits.

Saves a lot of money. [Increase profits too]

Hi,

When you recover a gas, it comes mixed with the oils (and maybe acids) from the circuit.

if you recycle properly a gas, it can be reused with all warranty in the same installation(if you clean also properly the circuits) or another one.

You only need to get rid of oils that are mixed with the refrigerant(and acids that could be mixed with the oils), which are basically the toxic waste. You can achieve this with a simple distillation of the gas, not using filters, since these oils are mixed with the refrigerant.

Regards,

Nando.

Nando,

How do I do a simple distillation of the gas?

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by jakehabing View Post
    Nando,

How do I do a simple distillation of the gas?

Jake
    Just use the correct recovery+recycling unit. There are different models in the market.

Regards,

Nando.

and they cost lots of money too if there any good.

Also none of the available units can give you what you want guaranteed

Quote Originally Posted by Quality View Post
    Also none of the available units can give you what you want guaranteed
    Sorry Quality,

could you explain it for a Spaniard like me?

Do you have any experience with such recycling units?

Regards,

Nando.

Quote Originally Posted by Fri3Oil System View Post
    Sorry Quality,

could you explain it for a Spaniard like me?

Do you have any experience with such recycling units?

Regards,

Nando.
    What I meant was you have no real way of testing (other than acid & moisture) of what you have recycled is actually good enough for reuse especially if its a blend such as R407C etc. You need the use or services of a gas chromatograph to be certain

Yes I have had quite a lot of recycling experience in the past.

cheers

What I meant was you have no real way of testing (other than acid & moisture) of what you have recycled is actually good enough for reuse especially if its a blend such as R407C etc. You need the use or services of a gas chromatograph to be certain

Yes I have had quite a lot of recycling experience in the past.

cheers
    I think it has nothing to do. One thing is recycling a contaminated gas, and another is a gas that has lost its mixture, like in the case of R407C by a leak.

Nowadays you have other ways to check if the mix of R407C has been decomponed. There are gas analyzers that can do that job for you in 30secs. And this is not a cromatograph study, but a tool anyone can have in his van.

don't know what you mean by the past, but in the present days, there are good recyclers that save a lot of money to those who use them.

Regards,

Nando.

Not in my opinion but we each have a choice .

I designed, manufactured and installed a facility for BOC gases to recycle the new R4 refrigerants in the late nineties so I consider my experience to be enough to know that the units available today are only a token jester to recycling and are not that good.

The kit in your van for a few quid are 100% unreliable

But as it goes there are requirements for these machines but only when the operator knows whats they want.

An engineer with a requirement to recycle will be an engineer wanting and knowing what they are doing.

ps.it freezing here I bet you sun is shining

Maybe my English and/or knowledge are not wide enough to understand you, or either we are talking about different things. Would you, for instance accept a recycled gas with a maximum of 600ppm of impurities as a good-to-reuse gas?

Sun shines here, 17ºC this morning, had lunch and a coffee at a terrace in the sea shore... but it was a little windy, so it wasn't that pleasant... but I don't complain

Lucky sod

What impurities at 600 ppm do you refer to ?
    Moisture content is max 10ppm

Lucky sod

What impurities at 600 ppm do you refer to ?
    Moisture content is max 10ppm
    Even regenerated gases have around 40ppm. Recycling is not regeneration, is it?

600ppm impurities include acids, oils, moisture, etc. impurites.

Regards,

Nando.

Guys,

I just want a good way to recycle my r-22. So that is is clean enough to use in my own equipment. Not planning to resale the gas. That would require a lab to test it to see if it was clean to the standards. I don't have the money to buy a recycling machine. I would like to be able to use my recovery unit.
    To give you some idea of what I want exactly. I have about 50lbs of recovered r-22 that is possibly contaminated with some compressor burn out r-22. I want to clean this gas.

Using an oiless recovery unit draw vapour from the doner cylinder through a burnout cleanup drier such as one that has at least 2 x 48cu" drier cores then into a known clean cylinder. Then use a total test to give you some idea of acid and moisture content

Quality,

Would that contaminate the clean cylinder with acid? After I remove the gas form the doner cylinder how do I clean this cylinder? Is there a way that would remove all the oil?

Quote Originally Posted by jakehabing View Post
    Quality,

Would that contaminate the clean cylinder with acid? After I remove the gas form the doner cylinder how do I clean this cylinder? Is there a way that would remove all the oil?
    You need a second clean cylinder, the way I described is the easiest cheapest attempt

Thanks Quality

airlift123 Guest

Remember one unit is to recover the other to recycle refrigerant. Recycle means to turn the recovered refrigerant in to recycled gas that you can use. However depending on your recycleing skills I would not attemt recyling refigerant from a burn out.

If you check my profile's pictures, you will find some of them made at a burn out cleaning. You will see how dirty was the oil, actually black and rotten. The gas was then reused after the cleaning, 3 years ago now, and no more problems have arised since then. This compressor was changed like 3 times in 9 months before we did this cleaning.

So, do you think reusing a recycled gas after a burn out is not reliable? It doesn't matter that much how dirty or contaminated the gas is, as far as it's correctly decanted and separed from other liquids.

Regards,

Nando.