Thread: Hello all!!

Hello all!!

Hello everyone,
    Just taking the opurtunity to introduce myself on the forum as I'm going to be on here quite a bit these days I think.
    I started an apprentiship at 19 years old, 9years ago to be a refrigeration engineer, I've worked for two companies in my career and have now took the leap to build my own business. It would be good to speak to people also starting their own business's and share similar experiences and pitfalls.
    Any advice on any subjects are welcome be it the forum of technical/business.
    Look forward to speaking to some of you soon.

Re: Hello all!!

Hi BGF,

Welcome to RE!

What sort of systems are you wanting to work on?
    Have you actually started on you own yet or are you at the planning stage?

Jon

Welcome to RE

good luck with your new venture
    Paul

"KEEP IT COOL"

Good luck and welcome to RE

Welcome BGF
    Best of luck, hope it works out.
    Cheers
    Stu
    Tool's ? check ! Condom's ? check !
    If you can't fix it , f*ck it !!!

Thanks for all the well wishing guys.
    In reply to your question Monkey Spanners, my previouse history is in commercial Refrigeration and Air conditioning. Ive also spent alot of time on Bulk Tanks, Celler Cooling and Ice machines.
    I'm keen to start looking into Transport and Small packs aswell though to broaden my horizons and attract some customers who are already pottentials if I can pick up a bit more experiences in these areas.

If anybody works in these areas and wants a free apprentice for the day then drop me a message.

Regards BGF

bgf watch yourself with transport mate i started on my own in 2003 and its my main area when i started it does get you into many a customer i recomend if you plan to do transport start with gah and hubbard first, leave the carrier and tk til you find your feet ,parts are easy to get and its fine to work on and technical side good

Thanks Charlie that sounds like sound advice. How do you feel about starting your own business 7 years on?
    Any tips on luring new customers? Excellent workmanship and good prices alone don't always seem to swing it, and word of mouth is a slower process than I'd like.

would not change a thing i love it, i have six staff and still work 75 hrs a week my tipp? i like service contracts it keeps you busy in the low periods/ we dont advertise i find it a waste of money keep your overheads low and call on everyone you know offer a small discount for cod it keeps your cashflow going and dont be to cheap there is no nead for it and have a good wholesaler sorry if i went on a bit but it would of helped me to speak to someone good luck

Your main point of advertising is your van. Make it stand out. (unless you are a bad driver or one that uses his finger to other drivers)
    When I had my company in the UK, I had a six wheeler pick up Range Rover, Just the company name and phone number (BIG)
    I got so much work from this.
    As far as cold calling (the job most of us hate) it normally takes 3 visits to get work. ( so do not get yourself down when if after a call the work does not come in) wait a month between calls.

very true mf the number of times a customer said oh i wish i heard of you earlier and i am thinking i dropped 3 sets of cards in keep smileing

Charlie-Your welcome to go on as much as you want mate. The more advice the better. I must admit I've found it really hard to sell service contracts, people seem to see it as an uneccesary out lay no matter how many benifits you can show them. As for calling on people you know... It's suprising how many people you do know when you sit down and think about it.
    Mad Fridge- My van's nothing to shout about due to budget but green writing on a white van should stand out enough. As for cold calling I've already had the "oh if only..." a few times already. Best advice I've had so far is to treat the genral public as stupid, (Obviously without patronising them) you really do have to hammer it home you exist don't you!

I was told not to waste my time visiting customers and just send out letters. I think making the effort to go and introduce yourself shows sincerity, and how many people actually read junk mail? any opinions on this?

Blog Entries

where do you live . it is important to choose line and type of work in refrigeration and A/C .

if you have the time always sea a customer face to face i have always found a letter gets very little feedback if your going past the door and it aint costing you anything why not? the buss of nailing a customers work is as good as it gets and as far as service contracts dont push them just advise them, when you go to a cellar with a blocked condensor just mention how much the customer will save in electric due to your service they always pay attension then a contract is for the customer well being as well as yours we find it helps both parties.work out your competition rates what are they like and what is there weakness/ get some stickers made up and label everything you work on the next time you go back it may be a fresh owner and the big thing customers arevnot all stupid those that are leave alone you aint stupid to be in business nowadays

I'm in East Cheshire mbc. I want to be mainly a refrigeration company but A/C is a massive secctor now that can't be ignored. .Surely by choosing a specific line your just ruling out potential customers?
    Charlie-What you said about the subtle aproach and stickers... I'm already taking your advice, I guess It just takes a litle longer for people to catch on some times. As for my rates... I am competitive on a sevice basis (I know this for sure) as for maintenance and installs it's hard to know what competitors are charging due to it being so comparable to the standard of work they carry out, maybe I am a little dearer than competitors in this area, but I know my standard of work is second to none. (Thats not arogance by the way. I just do my best to go the extra mile for my customers)

if you loose a customer due to cost dont panic relie on your quality of work most of the installs we do are for the right cost to do it right and maintain it and keep customer happy somebody will always do it cheaper let them, then when then wont sort it out you will be first in line as far as you looking for transport work if no one gets in touch speak to one of the builders like coolkit etc best whey to learn is fit it or you could always have a day in devon but it is a long way ?

Had'nt thought of going straight to the builders? Good idea Charlie.