Thread: Thermometer

Thermometer

Can you please let me know what thermometer you are using to measure superheat in a walk-in freezer.
    I have been using a multi-meter with a type K thermister adaptor measuring pipe surface temperature but at –20ºC the multi-meter (fluke) does not seem to give stable readings.
    I have looked into other electronic thermometers but they are all rated at an ambient of <0ºC. Infrared thermometers have the same problem.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated

Mark

Re: Thermometer

hi mbreward,
    I have for a long time had a RS206 -3738 c+f , hold button, t1 and t2 plus plastic cover< which I put on the thermometer upsidedown to cover the readout screen.
    happy testing, sedgy,

Hi mbreward
    you could use a superheat calculation kit where the thermometer measures the direct temp of the refrigerant.
    It is not a stable measurement - it is dynamic and due to the flow and constant adjusting of the metering device. The one is use is about 10 years old and it would be good if a manufacturer would build one that gives a K value with average, min and max readings. I use the yellow jacket ritchie.
    I spoke with a boss from CPS in the USA last year and he said they were working on an electronic diagnosis tool which also did data logging.
    0°C is a standard calibration temp I think the next standard is around 28°C (mercury) so 0°C is the closest for calibration for measuring superheat. I also have a fluke with a high digit resolution but have found they are not accurate and the range is too high.

Thanks Sedgy

Can you tell me what probes you use

Hey Lads
    I was constantly having trouble with readings from various manufacturers thermometers and found i was wasting money constantly buying new ones (although i now possess quite the collection)
    In the end i bit the bullet and bought a yellow jacket system analyser.Real time superheat and subcooling graphable readings
    and Monitoring capabilities all downloadable for client presentation.
    A bit pricey but in my opinion well worth it .Has paid for itself over and over in time saved.
    The only thing i did was replace the k-type leads with 2 clamp on probes from my combustion test kit.
    It cost E800 and software upgrades are free from the Yellow Jacket site after registration(which is free)
    Cheers
    Stu
    http://www.yellowjacket.com/node/928
    Last edited by stufus; 23-01-2011 at 12:35 PM.
    Tool's ? check ! Condom's ? check !
    If you can't fix it , f*ck it !!!

stufus
    Wow that is really cool and just what I have been looking forward to, thank you and of course I had faith in Yellow Jacket all these years. Just to be sure are there any other members that have a better product that we should know about before we spend the money?
    Stu (Tesla)

hi mbreward, yes I used 2x binda pointed sensors. Velcro held sensors, handheld surface sensor and a couple of 5 meter cable sensors< with bare wire ends< hope this helps
    sedgy

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll look into both of them, the Yellow jacket superheat testing kit looks very good & reading the refrigerant temperature must be better than the pipe surface temperature

thanks again

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mbreward View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions, I'll look into both of them, the Yellow jacket superheat testing kit looks very good & reading the refrigerant temperature must be better than the pipe surface temperature

thanks again

Mark
    Have a look at the Testo Manifold range seem to be popular with some members.Only used them once so not to familiar with them but do remember saying "when i earn a decent wage i'll invest in one of these"
    But alas went on the piss instead
    Cheers
    Stu
    Tool's ? check ! Condom's ? check !
    If you can't fix it , f*ck it !!!

Hi,

I was using Testo 560-2 Refrigeration System Analyzer (for ammonia and other 30-40 max refrigerants ) good instrument .... can be connected to PC to store data etc...etc... quite expensive was that one about 2500E+ ... of course with wire and radio temp probes, SS flexible hoses...

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.