Thread: Cycling

Cycling

Anyone into cycling? road or MTB.
    Tour down under just about to start 15th Jan.
    Getting on in years (63) but like to get out on either the road or MTB depending on weather,average 70 miles per week in winter and getting on for 150 in the summer.
    Usually make the tour de france which even though I am an ardent soccer fan has a fantastic atmosphere.
    Planning to do a charity ride through the UK,France and down to Gibralta when I'm 65.
    Good social sport when you are out with friends although motorists do seem a little impatient at times,try not to return the insults.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving” Einstein

Re: Cycling

I need an engine to be having fun, but I have a couple of friends who are to MTB

Good lord they are fit, physically I mean

makes me wonder

One of the parlour fitters i know is into mountain biking, i think one of his bikes cost about £4K says it costs twice as much every time you halve the weight of a part, i think he has four or five bikes for different events.

I used to cycle to college about ten miles away, but even the idea of cycling to the shop fills me with dread now!
    Suddenly realise how lazy i have become

Jon

Treated myself (as blokes do) to a carbon fibre bike a couple of years ago which was a grand or two!
    Has it's own room indoors!
    Still needs the pedals turning especially up the hills but it runs great.
    Gear shifters are so slick now it makes riding much easier,most who ride don't have a bike that fits them,don't have the gears set up and usually under inflate the tyres so as soon as they get on it takes too much effort and is uncomfortable.Not retireing competely at 65 in 18 months but taking a month off to cycle down the UK,France and Spain to Gibralta,hopefully for a cancer charity.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving” Einstein

Good on ya spimps, sounds like a good trip! I enjoy a bit of cycling myself but not been getting out with the snow (any excuse)!!

Yap big cycling fan, and do ride every weekend - time permits. in fact, just found out that McCwen & Armstrong are coming to my city Brisbane to ride for a Flood relief charity this monday. it should be a good cause and see the champs up and close. im thinkin about chuckin a sickie, so that i can join them. see how we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Filunder View Post
    Yap big cycling fan, and do ride every weekend - time permits. in fact, just found out that McCwen & Armstrong are coming to my city Brisbane to ride for a Flood relief charity this monday. it should be a good cause and see the champs up and close. im thinkin about chuckin a sickie, so that i can join them. see how we go.
    Just watched the tour down under last day,would we great to have been there,especially in temps of 30c as opposed to 2c here.

Le tour starts tomorrow,off to Spain next week with the cycle for some mountain climbs,will have to limit the San Miguels and Riojoca,maybe not on second thoughts.

Excelent tour de france bein ridden out this year http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/cycling/ .
    Rode almost 200 miles in 12 days in Spain and can't remember seeing one single pot hole! compared to the UK where there is one evry 100 mtrs
    Still good busines for suspension repairs,tyre manufactures and wheel aligning etc.
    Can't imagine what state the roads will be like for driving or riding on next year if we have another cold winter.
    Soon be looking for a horse to ride and a mule to carry my tools

I used to do a lot of cycling when I was younger. After college or work I could do an hour or two, but that was before full time work.... marriage..... kids......

Would like to start again someday.

Chillin
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

quyduy1992 Guest

Everybody cycles when they're young , and stopped when they begin going to work .... Tu lanh
    Last edited by chillin out; 20-07-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Yep, very keen cyclist. Tour de France is my World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo2212 View Post
    Yep, very keen cyclist. Tour de France is my World Cup.
    come on then Turbo,

lets give you a hand to get your numbers up mate, for that signature

am curious to see what you have now, suspense is killing me,

I have a 'scott enduro; mtb & do about 20-50 miles a week, rain or shine- soft roading

Whats your ride & how many miles you clocking ?

& what terrain ?

R;s chillerman
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

The bloke that wrote the book "Jogging to good health " died of a heart attack while jogging. I gave up jogging then. Your heart is alot like a compressor, only good for so many revs and wears out after a while. And I am still here.

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
    The bloke that wrote the book "Jogging to good health " died of a heart attack while jogging. I gave up jogging then. Your heart is alot like a compressor, only good for so many revs and wears out after a while. And I am still here.
    Thats does not sound good, Magoo

I am always pushing my heart too far, thinking it's good to keep fit, either gym, cycling, motoX or chasing younger women (the last will probaly be the death of me)

May be time to slow down & just stick to walking my puppy dogs, but even that can be hard work, especially when both at the same time, just under 20st the two together

R's chillerman

Haha that would be great! I have a 2009 Trek Madone 5.2 with Ultegra SL. I am road only at the moment but have been considering getting a mountain bike also. I probably ride about 100 miles a week dependant on how far the Sunday club ride is.

Haha that would be great! I have a 2009 Trek Madone 5.2 with Ultegra SL. I am road only at the moment but have been considering getting a mountain bike also. I probably ride about 100 miles a week dependant on how far the Sunday club ride is.
    What sort of Mtb, you thinking of going for ?

dont know much about road cycling, except they always overtake me on my heavy compared to theirs bikes

I've been recommended to buy a 'Focus' bike as I've heard you get great equipment for the price. What do you think Chillerman are they worth it?

Yeah there nippy little things are road bikes

I've been recommended to buy a 'Focus' bike as I've heard you get great equipment for the price. What do you think Chillerman are they worth it?

Yeah there nippy little things are road bikes
    not heard of 'Focus' but halfords own brand (carrera) not bad kit for your money...bought a friend one (kraken) to get him into some exercise (lounge lizard & office worker) & now when I phone,
    his mrs says " he's out on that ******* bike you bought him"

She's not best pleased but he is for sure

Definately worth a look mate & as season is coming to an end last years models are dropping in price....a good time to buy is october here in the uk...before prices go back up for xmas

what sort of terrain you thinking of riding ?

I've never been that keen on Halfords although them new Boardmans look quite good and I've heard about them Carrera's and no one seems to have anything bad to say about them. Might have to have a look at them.

It would just be going down trail routes and stuff like that... (Not sure of the correct terminology lol). I love the road biking but I get ****** off with the road round here as it shakes me half to death

I've never been that keen on Halfords although them new Boardmans look quite good and I've heard about them Carrera's and no one seems to have anything bad to say about them. Might have to have a look at them.

It would just be going down trail routes and stuff like that... (Not sure of the correct terminology lol). I love the road biking but I get ****** off with the road round here as it shakes me half to death
    Trail routes - soft roading
    XC (cross country) bike is best, if you ride out of the saddle, go for a hard tail,(cheaper) or if you like to rest in the saddle, full suspension with shock lock-out(needed for hill climbing)...I think all carrera's come with fork lock-out now, boardmans just an ex rider stuck his name to some frames, at the entry level, named brands just add un-needed cost to price, its only when you start hitting £4k plus that the top brands payoff with latest technology, but even then whats £7k can be picked up the same for £5k on average brand

LX shifters & gearing is all you need, the likes of XT & XTR are just to shave a couple of grams...which can be just as easily done on the kazzee before you go out