zootjeff Guest

Heat Pump with Strange Laboring Sounds

I have a 2.5 Ton Goodman Heatpump with R410A in it. It went in around May last year. Every now and then it goes into this state where it makes an oscillating laboring sound and doesn't heat or cool.

See the video:

Arg, I can't post the video until 15 posts..

Here search youtube for ep7n6uhJopA titled Noisy Goodman Heat Pump.

It is really loud too. If I turn it off and let it sit for 10 minutes, it runs fine for days before happening again.

Once it's running again, it is much more quiet and there is no 0.5 Hz oscillation. The video shows the defrost cycle, but it makes the same noise in non-defrost too. Sounds like the Doctor Who Tardis..

I also notice the same revving sounds on the indoor unit at the TXV.. The suction line is cool to the touch and the liquid line has condensation and is also cool to the touch..

Could the 410a pressure be too high/low? Is it possible they put the TXV on without removing the orifice? Hmm. Ideas? Any ideas what's going on?

Re: Heat Pump with Strange Laboring Sounds

Quote Originally Posted by zootjeff View Post
    I have a 2.5 Ton Goodman Heatpump with R410A in it. It went in around May last year. Every now and then it goes into this state where it makes an oscillating laboring sound and doesn't heat or cool.

See the video:

It is really loud too. If I turn it off and let it sit for 10 minutes, it runs fine for days before happening again.

Once it's running again, it is much more quiet and there is no 0.5 Hz oscillation. The video shows the defrost cycle, but it makes the same noise in non-defrost too. Sounds like the Doctor Who Tardis..

I also notice the same revving sounds on the indoor unit at the TXV.. The suction line is cool to the touch and the liquid line has condensation and is also cool to the touch..

Could the 410a pressure be too high/low? Is it possible they put the TXV on without removing the orifice? Hmm. Ideas? Any ideas what's going on?

Just a few points.

I know nothing about the Goodman heatpump but in genral terms that thing sounds like an electrical problem.

So

How old is it?
    When did this start?
    Does it rectify itself or do you always have to switch it off?

It sounds like the comp has no work to do and is revinging up and down on an inverter trying to meet
    some setpoint or somthing. Thats why I say electrical.

If I did not know better I would say it sounds like a scroll running backwards!!!!!

I do not know what type of comp it has or if it is inverter controled??

Do not start changing things.

You need to get this looked at properly and sorted correctly.

Not much help to you I know but the best I can with what I know.

All the best

taz

What pressures and temperatures do you observe when this is ocurring?

First thing: why isn't the fan turning? Because it's defrosting? Why is it defrosting with no frost?

For me it's an electrical buzzing. I agree with taz, but what it is... I don't know. For sure it's the compressor, because the fan is not running. Can it be a chattering contactor?

Quote Originally Posted by zootjeff View Post

See the video:

HI !

I was see this video!

I know this sound!

This is a scroll compressor with WRONG ROTATING DIRECTION !

change the phases! and inform me !

I doubt it's rotation as turning it on and off wont alter phase rotation.
    As NNN says it appears to be defrosting for no reason,so i would suspect a problem with defrost termination,sticky relay,bad sensor or contact, etc etc
    I'm not familiar with these units although i think they were made or owned by lennox at some stage.
    How ever some one else may know do the use pumpdown control in the off cycle, if so it may be cycling on the lp switch while trying to pump down.
    Never was a fan of cube units or as i like to call them coke cans.
    Regards Stu
    Last edited by stufus; 07-01-2011 at 12:08 PM.
    Tool's ? check ! Condom's ? check !
    If you can't fix it , f*ck it !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep7n6uhJopA

I expect this is single phase with a starting cap, if it is a scroll and the power goes off for a split second (they spin backwards on power off) and then comes back on, it is possible for some scrolls to continue to run backwards until turned off or they trip on internal overload.

Does stopping it and then restarting result in normal running?

Either way, get it checked out by a tech and stop running it, it will only get more expensive the longer it goes on.

zootjeff Guest

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    I expect this is single phase with a starting cap, if it is a scroll and the power goes off for a split second (they spin backwards on power off) and then comes back on, it is possible for some scrolls to continue to run backwards until turned off or they trip on internal overload.

Does stopping it and then restarting result in normal running?

Either way, get it checked out by a tech and stop running it, it will only get more expensive the longer it goes on.
    It is a: SSZ140301A - Goodman 2.5 Ton 14 SEER Heat Pump Condensing Unit, R410A Refrigerant and it was ordered in June of 2009

I have had it installed since May. It runs just fine most of the time. Yes, if you turn off the system for 10 minutes, then turn it on again, then you can't re-create the problem. Normally under defrost it doesn't make this sound. It was making the same sound in heating mode that it was making in defrost mode. The reason the fan isn't spinning is that it was in defrost, but since it was making no heat and making no cold, there was nothing to defrost..

Someone mentioned that this might be a bad or sticking reversing valve..

The HP is running fine right now, has heated the house all day for the last few days, etc.. I'll see if the service bulletin includes the reversing valve on this unit..

zootjeff Guest

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Picture of it running normally:

w_ww.youtube.com/watch?v=y_4I63LsUik

The Call for heat went away during defrost. Then it came back and tried to start up in defrost, this shows the problem. When the call for heat went away there was a pop and then a hissing... Then it powered up like this:

w_ww.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9sNYOHKQ5w

After I turned if off, waited 10 minutes, everything was fine.

Video of a normal defrost cycle: 3:53 it kicked back on:

w_ww.youtube.com/watch?v=av-8DuBDLH4

So It is probably a starting cap?

ssz140 is notorious for reversing valve failures, when you hear the laboring sounds put your gauges and check the pressures ,if suction and discharge pressures are the same , replace the reversing valve Good luck!!

zootjeff Guest

OK,

Now I notice when the unit switches over from heating to defrost, there is a hissing sound, then it labors about three times and fades out to normal sound..

It has done this a few times now..

Is the reversing valve just slowly crossing over?

Can too much or too little charge in the system cause this?