Thread: water filter

mak99 Guest

water filter

hey everyone new to the forum, can anyone tell me where i can get a in-line water filter for an ice machine, the filter which i am replacing is a Pentek GS-6EXTRA2.5, its only about the size of a 3/8 dryer. Cannot find any on the internet so was wondering if anyone knows any suppliers who sell similar filters, maybe plumbing merchants? or for that case anywhere else. cheers

Re: water filter

Found this,

http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

and

http://www.waterfiltersuk.co.uk/acat...artridges.html

I have found the easiest way to find things is google images, that way you get to see something similar as what you are looking for without having to check lots of pages.

Jon

mak99 Guest

Monkey you made more progress in 5 mins than i made in 2hrs tonight, found the same filter but its in the US, the other filters are filter cartridges and not in-line complete filter. I thought everywhere would sell them but they seem like golddust, thanks anway.

Quote Originally Posted by mak99 View Post
    hey everyone new to the forum, can anyone tell me where i can get a in-line water filter for an ice machine, the filter which i am replacing is a Pentek GS-6EXTRA2.5, its only about the size of a 3/8 dryer. Cannot find any on the internet so was wondering if anyone knows any suppliers who sell similar filters, maybe plumbing merchants? or for that case anywhere else. cheers
    I buy the same sort of filters for ice baths and adiabatic coolers from these guys...

http://www.brookwater.co.uk/

Order online but they can take a few weeks to deliver - strangely - but they do eventually deliver.
    Only the dogmatist says he will never change his mind. We all know that some of our opinions are wrong but none of us know which they are for if we did then they just wouldn't be our opinions. - JS Mill.

mak99 Guest

Thanks DT, found what i am looking for.
    Will bypass it for time-being while i wait for delivery. Do these filters restrict the water pressure by a lot? (reduce the flow)

Quote Originally Posted by mak99 View Post
    Thanks DT, found what i am looking for.
    Will bypass it for time-being while i wait for delivery. Do these filters restrict the water pressure by a lot? (reduce the flow)
    There's negligable pressure drop - haven't measured it or looked it up but for an ice machine you won't notice anything.
    Only the dogmatist says he will never change his mind. We all know that some of our opinions are wrong but none of us know which they are for if we did then they just wouldn't be our opinions. - JS Mill.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Check your local Yellow Pages for water softener suppliers, they carry all sorts of filters on the shelf.

Well ours do anyway.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

travis perkins do a 15mm inline water filter-u may need reducers to modify.
    also screwfix do them,plumb centres,city plumbing

t-burke Guest

I also have a question about a refrigerator water filter... We are new homeowners, and from what I can tell, the kitchen appliances were all updated two years ago. We have a Maytag refrigerator with in-door water and ice dispenser. Currently, there is a PuriClean Ukf8001axx filter in it. My question is, how often should this filter be replaced? Would it be smart to go ahead and replace it now, considering we don't know how old it is?

Most of those filters contain a coarse filter, a fine filter and activated charcoal as a water odour remover. Ideally you change them annually, as they do tend to grow a nice bacterial film on the output side as the charcoal removes the chlorine in the water. Some have a copper scrap block inside to purify the water. I just replace them with a 5 micron filter, as the water inside the fridge will then not grow a slime layer.