TK SB 310 how to find software version?

Hello - I have a SB 310 unit on a trailer. I bought the unit and trailer used last year and had a few issues with it. The lingering issue is when the unit runs on 'continuous mode', it never kicks back into high speed [once reaching the set point] and will run 3 to 8 degrees out of range - never getting back to the set point. One tech said it was the Opti-set and he cleared those . . . no change.

My TK dealer is telling me it *must* be old software and to bring it in so they can tell me what version I'm running. They're an hour and a half away, and while I know they would be the ones to flash a newer version, I'd like to be able to check what version I have now before I commit to a service which might not be the issue - meaning my software may be new enough.

I guess I'm looking to two things:

1) how do I get into the menu that will display the unit software - the old TK button I use to use to get into the guarded menu isn't on the new type of display, and

2) any ideas what my issue may be? I've dumped over $2000.00 on this unit since I bought and I'm a little gun shy.

Thanks,
    dave

Re: TK SB 310 how to find software version?

when on idle if you turn it off and then back on does it go to high speed then please advise

Yes it does. Also if I lower the set point, it will kick back on high until reached, then go back to idle only.

its on software revision load four the trailer software is locking out high speed until altered by operator what controller is it on is it a t 6 please advise be lucky

I'm not sure what controller it is?

without that i am shot due to access you need to find run time hysteria send photo of controller

it's not throwing any codes, you mean a photo of the controller - inside the panel, not the control panel, correct?

Thanks,

dave

It sounds like a SR2 to me. (SB310)
    Sounds like the "optisets" are your issue here. Do you know what the last owner used the trailer for?
    I can help you if your willing to do your homework.
    You will have to post your email here so I can. (Every time I put mine up, it's spam city asking for manuals)
    Cheers,
    Abbs

I do have a SB310. I'm not sure about the last owner, other than he was a independent like me. The 'Optisets' were cleared this Spring when the unit quit cooling (weekend service call). I'd mentioned to the service guy about the continuous run issue and he cleared the 'optisets'. It didn't help.

The nearest TK dealer keeps telling me I need to have the software updated to version 40.50 or something. While they have no idea what version is currently loaded into my unit, they claim that anything under 40.36 is causing the problem. I guess I'm a little skeptical that the software was that terrible - none of the guys I know with TK's have had their software updated? (not that I don't believe updating might have some benifits

I left my email for you.

thanks,

dave

Abbs - I left my email on your profile page.

sounds like the floor limits controlling the unit. attempting to prevent top freeze. assume it only does this in fresh range

Quote Originally Posted by DaButcher View Post
    sounds like the floor limits controlling the unit. attempting to prevent top freeze. assume it only does this in fresh range
    As far as I know it only does it on fresh - I've not hauled a frozen load since I bought the unit. Primarily, I haul fresh produce tomato's, bulk peppers and bulk cucumbers.

if you send a pic of controller i can id

Quote Originally Posted by charlie patt View Post
    if you send a pic of controller i can id
    You're talking about the control board on the inside of the door panel, correct?

I did get into protected mode and under software revision it lists:

Controller Software Rev: B004

Display Software Revision: 6507

set up for low speed after setpoint achevied would go to high speed after df or switch of or alter setpoint does it have auto start that would be later controller

Quote Originally Posted by charlie patt View Post
    set up for low speed after setpoint achevied would go to high speed after df or switch of or alter setpoint does it have auto start that would be later controller
    That sounds like how it may be set up, it will go back into high on altered setpoint or shut off. Not positive about after DF.

Not sure what your asking about 'auto start', it has cycle century of course.

I can try to get a picture tomorrow.

No need for a pic, SB310 is SR2 controlled unit

Thanks, DaButcher. So now what?!?

the software you have is pretty stable, but way out of date, and not the cause of your concern.

I had this exact complaint a couple years ago, the fix was to raise the floor limit.

My suggestion is to find a good dealer if you are sure you want to change it.

The purpose of what the unit is doing is to prevent "top freeze". Ever have a load of lettuce rejected because of frozen leaves? If so most likely it was a older reefer unit that did not have any "top freeze" protection.
    Last edited by DaButcher; 07-01-2011 at 03:19 AM.

the software sell ended like this - "We can even make your unit a 310+ just by updating the software. . . . .

Is there any reason to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by indycar89 View Post
    the software sell ended like this - "We can even make your unit a 310+ just by updating the software. . . . .

Is there any reason to do that?
    My 2cents for the owner operator, no.

Wait a few months and for about a grand you can make it a SB330 (no reason I know of yet as to why you should)
    Last edited by DaButcher; 07-01-2011 at 03:38 AM.

I will hook ya up. Wait for email...

Quote Originally Posted by DaButcher View Post
    the software you have is pretty stable, but way out of date, and not the cause of your concern.

I had this exact complaint a couple years ago, the fix was to raise the floor limit.

My suggestion is to find a good dealer if you are sure you want to change it.

The purpose of what the unit is doing is to prevent "top freeze". Ever have a load of lettuce rejected because of frozen leaves? If so most likely it was a older reefer unit that did not have any "top freeze" protection.
    I've never had anything rejected due to temp issues [knock on wood]. I suppose the proof is in the pulp temp check, but many receivers record the box temp based on the display reading [granted, I can lock the display into discharge or something] but having a load for 3 or 4 days and arriving showing 4 or 5 degrees off set point is unnerving as well.

Not to mention that I run with many of the same guys, we load together and arrive together - bulk peppers out of the field [these are over night runs, not the 3 -4 day mentioned earlier], but mine is the only one to display this behavior - granted they are not running Smart Reefers, rather the last version of the SB 3 series.

I can't seem to edit my post so, they might have smart reefers, but they are the SB 3 series, not the SB 100, 200, 300 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by indycar89 View Post
    Not to mention that I run with many of the same guys, we load together and arrive together - bulk peppers out of the field [these are over night runs, not the 3 -4 day mentioned earlier], but mine is the only one to display this behavior - granted they are not running Smart Reefers, rather the last version of the SB 3 series.

One of a reefer mechanics worst nighmeres. Moisture and a unit that is trying to get supermarket temp from the field. The poor thing doesn't have a chance against the "still live" BTU's it's facing. Defrost....Defrost...Defrost.... drop 2 degree...defrost..

don't go with that turn it into a SB310+
    they gonna sell you the blingee chrome doors too.

The revisions after 6512 and B007 lock out user keypad input for optiset, effectively making the TK dealer the only option for setting up your optiset.

The floor limit should be + 2.2

I've got heaps of SB310's I look after, they all vary with setpoint +2 they'll stay at 6, at zero stay at 4. this is classed as in range.

Just set the thing to -2, then it'll stay in your range.

get the thermo king dealer to up the software to 6512 and B007 these are stable. They will have them. Should take about half an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by abbsnowman View Post
    It sounds like a SR2 to me. (SB310)
    Sounds like the "optisets" are your issue here. Do you know what the last owner used the trailer for?
    I can help you if your willing to do your homework.
    You will have to post your email here so I can. (Every time I put mine up, it's spam city asking for manuals)
    Cheers,
    Abbs
    not to disappoint " can i have a manual please abbs"

Moggy, Moggy, Moggy...... email? Don't you already have mine?
    Who said anything about a manual?

Just an update -

Scrolling though the Guarded access menu, I found a few items that might account for the no high speed condition once the initial set point has been reached, despite getting pretty good out of range. I also found a setting that had been changed and I wanted to see what you guys thought about it. I'll start with that first:

The DISCHARGE PRESSURE SET POINT is 430psi, not the factory setting of 415psi. Why would that be changed?

Ok, now for the other settings. I think I'd mentioned that the Optisets had been cleared by a dealer this Spring.

Unit Config - While High Capacity Unit was in the Yes, HIgh Capacity Fresh was set to NO, so I changed that to YES.

Fuel Saver II is on, as it high speed pull down for both cycle century and continuous in Optiset range band 0 ~ temp -20 to 24f. However, when scrolling through Range band 1 ~ temp 25 to 80f, the High Speed in MODULATION MODE was off, so I changed that to ON.

I'm thinking that the unit entered modulation mode and from then on, high speed is disabled. We'll see how it works out.

Looks like sombody has done their homework!

Quote Originally Posted by gravy258 View Post
    don't go with that turn it into a SB310+
    they gonna sell you the blingee chrome doors too.

The revisions after 6512 and B007 lock out user keypad input for optiset, effectively making the TK dealer the only option for setting up your optiset.

I've got heaps of SB310's I look after, they all vary with setpoint +2 they'll stay at 6, at zero stay at 4. this is classed as in range.

get the thermo king dealer to up the software to 6512 and B007 these are stable. They will have them. Should take about half an hour.
    Thanks, Gravy! This is good info. I've noted the software upgrade to v6512 and B007 and will have it done when the unit is next at the dealer.

With regards to the floor limit - are you talking F or C? The set point is 2.5 F and it appears that the changeable range is 1.0 F to 6.0 F. Perhaps the negative range is a feature of the newer software?

Quote Originally Posted by abbsnowman View Post
    Looks like sombody has done their homework!
    Getting into the right menu helps quite a bit!

A few settings I'm out of my league on are the Discharge Pressure Set point - I think this relates to head pressure - and it was previously set to 430, not the factory set of 415. Should I be concerned about this?

And lastly, under UNIT CONFIGURATION - there is a setting for FUEL LEVEL SENSOR TYPE. Is this an option or . . ?

Possible settings are SOLID STATE, FLOAT or NONE. My fuel tank has a float gauge, but I don't think I have a wire running to the unit itself - I suppose this is to shut down (or send a low fuel message on units equipped with satellite or something) when a low fuel setting is reached to avoid running out of fuel?

470 +7/-35 psi is the mechanical cut out, so 430 is fine for the micro cut out (this is for head pressure)

None is the correct setting for the fuel level, very few 310's have the sensor in tank to monitor at the micro.
    Last edited by DaButcher; 12-01-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Great! Thanks to you ALL for your responses and assistance! I'll let you know how the new settings work out. I'll be heading back out on the road soon - just waiting for the Dr to say ok after having a hip replaced.

sorry indycar was talking in C not F.

The revisions after 6512 and B007 deal mainly with optiset so i'm told.

Its the feature that displays the produce name and the driver selects 'potatoes' instead of chiller range.

This is set up via optisetplus program. Not in the keyboard.

I figured you were! yah, I'd like to retain some programmability, so I'll steer clear of versions that require optiset plus programing.

Quote Originally Posted by gravy258 View Post

Are you saying set the floor limit to -2 F to get it to stay in range?

I'm still having the out of range issue I've had all along . Today I was doing routine maintenance - draining the tank, blowing out lines, etc. When I start it back up, I let to run to be sure we're good to go. I had it set for 50 and after it ran a while, it was at 54, so I changed the setpoint to 55 and it drops into low speed modulation (it's set for continuous run)

I check back about 15 mins later and the box temp is now 62.5 (set pont is 55) and the unit STILL doesn't kick back into high speed! What gives?!?

My Optiset for range 1 is:

Modulation Control = on
    Econ mode = off
    Controlling sensor = return
    Modulation cool down option = max
    Floor Limit = 2.5
    Freeze Protection - OFF
    High Speed Modulation = on
    High Speed Modulation Ceiling = 3.0

I thought perhaps it was 'freeze protection' stopping it from kicking back into high speed, so I switched it off - but it's made no difference)

Perhaps it's just the old software? ( I have Controller Software Rev: B004; Display Software Revision: 6507)

thanks,

dave
    Last edited by indycar89; 10-05-2011 at 04:03 AM.