3GS Compressor oil info please for R134a

Hi , i have a ac recovery compressor that holds 9.3oz 275cc of compressor oil for use with R134A and the info i can find says it should be oil type 3GS. i have been searching and think this will be vic 150 ? and looks like it is a mineral oil. I wondered if other oils can be used like PAG 150 in place of that ? but think they are synthetic ?

Also i know PAG oils are hydroscopic and did not know if mineral oils are also ?

Please can advice be given on what other oils can be used of if PAG 150 will be ok . Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by 540itouring; 05-01-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: 3GS Compressor oil info please for R134a

Why not just get the correct 3GS oil from your wholesaler?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Mineral oil (3gs) is no good with R134a and i believe will make all sorts of nasties if you mix it with pag oil in a R134a system.
    If you are just taking refrigerant out for disposal it will be ok but not if you intend putting it back in again, for this an oil free recovery machine is whats needed.

Jon

A recovery compressor shall use oil which IS NOT miscible. So don't use POE or PAG. Use MO (mineral oil). Stay with 3GS.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNickName View Post
    A recovery compressor shall use oil which IS NOT miscible. So don't use POE or PAG. Use MO (mineral oil). Stay with 3GS.
    Hi NNN,

Thats the first time i have heard that, can you go into more detail as to why 3GS is recommended?

Also another thing that occurs to me is what oil should we use when recovering hcfc's as both mineral and ester are miscible with it.

Cheers Jon

A recovery compressor sucks the refrigerant out of a circuit and compresses, condensates and flows it into a recovery cylinder.
    If oil was miscible, very soon the compressor will starve of oil, which will pollute the liquid refrigerant in the cylinder.

Either one goes with oil-free compressors, or uses a non-miscible lubricant for the condensing unit.

For you second question, if oil is required, then you need to accept either small pollutions or use an oil to liquid strainer.

Live and learn

Cheers Jon

The unit is a KOOL KARE 134 (sun / snapon
    The unit is a car ac recovery / recharge system and has a oil separator bowl for incoming refrigerant and the output of the compressor also has a oil trap. The oil trap on the output of the compressor has a solinoid valve to return any oil that left the compressor and return back to the compressor.

Taking this into account would the pag 150 not be ok as oil loos should be returned to the compressor before condensing stage. I was thinkiing if the car compressor runs on pag and the compressor in this system has two oil traps one on the input before the suction side of compressor . The second oil trap is only to collect and return any oil lost from the compressor bact to the compressor.

Thanks for your help with this so far. If this must be 3GS could you advise of a UK supplier please.
    This a link to the maual for the unit and is the top model with vac pump optiol extra fitted http://tinyurl.com/38hsjxk

Quote Originally Posted by NoNickName View Post
    A recovery compressor sucks the refrigerant out of a circuit and compresses, condensates and flows it into a recovery cylinder.
    If oil was miscible, very soon the compressor will starve of oil, which will pollute the liquid refrigerant in the cylinder.

Either one goes with oil-free compressors, or uses a non-miscible lubricant for the condensing unit.

For you second question, if oil is required, then you need to accept either small pollutions or use an oil to liquid strainer.
    Last edited by 540itouring; 06-01-2011 at 08:11 PM.

Any refrigeration wholesalers should have Suniso 3GS compressor oil in stock or be able to order it.
    Where abouts are you?

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    Any refrigeration wholesalers should have Suniso 3GS compressor oil in stock or be able to order it.
    Where abouts are you?
    croydon surrey