Carbon Foot Print and Energy Saving.

Hi Everyone.

As we are facing 2011 I just thought of starting this new thread on carbon foot print and energy saving and the challenges which the HVAC & R engineer faces with the ever changing and quite dynamic technological aspects which this topic brings. I remember during one of the recent air conditioning plant upgrades we carried out we had very seriously heated up debates on which control philosophy to implement. I also realised that there is a very big need to bridge the gap between the old non energy saving practices and the new energy saving techniques available today.

I think it will be a good thing for us as engineers to discuss and share our experiences regarding this topic. I strongly believe that our industry is strongly shaping its direction towards energy saving technologies, and also the industry in general is appreciating and becoming more sensitive to energy saving aspect than it was in the past two years. Are we ready to transform our practice methods so as to stay afloat?

New energy saving AC units like inverters have settled comfortably in the market and are here to stay. R410 and Variable Speed Drives, soft starters are the norm of the day and have replaced star delta starters and other traditional starters significantly. Are the engineers and Technicians of our industry all geared up for the new technologies?

Lets discuss and share our thoughts for the benefit of us all.

Re: Carbon Foot Print and Energy Saving.

fuel efficient systems are the way forward invetor drives dc /ac low watt motors soft start etc however my concern with putting on critical equipment is reliability/ when a invertor bites the dust do we just get one out of the van? as most customers assume,

Quote Originally Posted by PRESS View Post
    Hi Everyone.

As we are facing 2011 I just thought of starting this new thread on carbon foot print and energy saving and the challenges which the HVAC & R engineer faces with the ever changing and quite dynamic technological aspects which this topic brings. I remember during one of the recent air conditioning plant upgrades we carried out we had very seriously heated up debates on which control philosophy to implement. I also realised that there is a very big need to bridge the gap between the old non energy saving practices and the new energy saving techniques available today.

I think it will be a good thing for us as engineers to discuss and share our experiences regarding this topic. I strongly believe that our industry is strongly shaping its direction towards energy saving technologies, and also the industry in general is appreciating and becoming more sensitive to energy saving aspect than it was in the past two years. Are we ready to transform our practice methods so as to stay afloat?

New energy saving AC units like inverters have settled comfortably in the market and are here to stay. R410 and Variable Speed Drives, soft starters are the norm of the day and have replaced star delta starters and other traditional starters significantly. Are the engineers and Technicians of our industry all geared up for the new technologies?

Lets discuss and share our thoughts for the benefit of us all.
    I would go for oil-less liquid overfeed with multiple water-cooled turbocore compressors pulling off of the surge vessel. Even on systems as small as 300kW
    Only the dogmatist says he will never change his mind. We all know that some of our opinions are wrong but none of us know which they are for if we did then they just wouldn't be our opinions. - JS Mill.

Hi guys

Chrlie Pat, I agree with you on your thoughts against using critical equipment in order to save energy. However inverters are still a bit expensive though they are quite energy efficient.

Inverters must have a short buy back period. I wonder if there is any country which is giving rebates on green equipment like inverters yet?.

DTLarca.

Thank you for your contribution to this thread. The equipement you described is not very common yet. I have a passion for new technologies. May you please give us a more vivid description of how this works. Is it common practice to use this type of equipement?

This is huge topic. I think it will be better to discuss this issue in subforumes, because different areas of our industry require different approachs.

Quote Originally Posted by PRESS View Post
    Hi guys

Chrlie Pat, I agree with you on your thoughts against using critical equipment in order to save energy. However inverters are still a bit expensive though they are quite energy efficient.

Inverters must have a short buy back period. I wonder if there is any country which is giving rebates on green equipment like inverters yet?.
    Yes in the U.S we have been receiving rebates on inverters for some time now.

Hi.

Segei I do not think that it is wrong to discuss this topic publicly. I started this thread so that views can be exchanged for the benefit of everyone.

Emmet thank you for your good reply. We are also getting rebates for sites with VSDs and heat pumps for water heaters.

we currentley have carbon trust funding which is a interest free loan only however this does not include invertor to invertor replacement it is for replaceing older non fuel efficient equipment certain supermarkeys replace there invertors on a regular basis to avoid failure this is good for electrical useage however what about the effect of disposal of old units time of install and engineer doing job and fuel getting there there is equipment out there that is as fuel efficient as it comes but reliability must come in to it be lucky charlie

Industrial refrigeration.

I found that VSDs can save 20-30% of total energy savings for production refrigeration plants. 70-80% can be saved by optimizing operation of these refrigeration plants.
    For cold storages. VSDs 40-50%. Optimization 50-60%. These are typical numbers. However, every plant is unique and ratio can change.