sixthplanet4me Guest

Help starting a new job @ a processing plant

I am wondering any one could tell me what to expect in this field of refrigration work? I will be beginning a job at a turkey processing plant here in NC it will be with ammonia. I start the first of the year and I have no idea what to expect,I,m a little scared of the unknown.Not the ammonia really just never working with any thing on a large scale.I will be training in house. even training with the water treatment aspects they tell me.How hard of a job is something like this. Help, anything you can share with me will be a really big help right now.

Re: Help starting a new job @ a processing plant

Not my field but when I first worked on supermarket gear I got chucked in, no training, just 2 years of split bashing and 2 years of college. Yes, I was shyting myself.
    I found that a major fault was normally easy to solve (i.e. gas leak, blown fuse) it's the subtle ones that take time and experience. Most packs were similar so after a few weeks you got to know where and what stuff did. Just a case of picking brains as much as possible to get to know the inner workings better.
    I see your position more favourably that mine. On the job training on the same site. You'll get to know that place like the back of your hand mate!

Good luck,

Andy.
    Health and safety first..........unless I'm in a hurry.

Welcome to the Forum Sixth!
    I hope you have done a bit of reading already. Ammonia requires some caution, but so do the other refrigerants.
    You will soon learn which operators know the system and which don't. Hopefully they will supply you with technical information. Ask if there is a RETA Chapter in the area. (Refrigeration Enginners and Technicians Assosiation)

I started for a Contractor years ago packing pipe and cutting up scrap. I have worked on the plant side and the construction and service side as well. I spent 15 seasons as a Chief Engineer in Alaska in some remote places. It has been a most rewarding career. I went on the road for several months after starting and devoured the books on refrigeration. The more you learn the more interesting it becomes.

Get back to us and describe the plant you will be working in.

sixthplanet4me Guest

Thanks guys,I'm a appliance tech right now and this will be a big change for me I believe.

Ammonia plant is no different from any other refrig system, but the pieces are bigger and controls are different, and the gas is leathal. Er on the side of caution and double check everything you do before opening any sections of plant.

Hi,

Best of wishes on your new appointment. You have nothing to fear and be anxious of. I have been priviledged to work on different types of systems. I was apprenticed on ammonia systems and I have done HvAC and R work all my after school life.

Confidance and passion for your work will see you through this.

Good luck.

sixthplanet4me Guest

How much of my time will be spent outside?

Quote Originally Posted by sixthplanet4me View Post
    How much of my time will be spent outside?
    Depends on the facility but I'd say about 20% tops. The only reason to go outside is to work on condensers or roof mounted piping and valve stations.

Find a local RETA chapter (go to RETA.com) and get involved. If you can get your facility to pay for it get training through Garden City, GCAP or Lanier. It will only take 2 weeks and they'll teach you a lot of what you need to know!

Dude process plant is simple, ammonia is the same as any other fridge plant just bigger operating bits and more complex controls and safetys, My work takes me to alot of biscuit factories and bread bakeries 50% inside and 50% out side.

Just a thought though it is a great step up in the industrie but bear in mind that the fridge industrie is like been a doctor you cant leave open heart surgery half way though you have to stick with it till the job is done no matter how long it takes especialy on the process side of things, I have personaly spent three full days and nights on one site with a little shut eye in the van to get a flooded system up and running. Hope it all goes to plan for for you.

Just cause it is bigger dont make it harder .............